[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wave Corrector Users • View topic - Cannot Set Volume low enough

Cannot Set Volume low enough

This forum is for discussing Wave Corrector, audio projects, tips & tricks etc.

Moderator: Derek

Postby citguy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:34 pm

citguy

Postby Glenn » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:26 pm

Glenn

Analog signal clipping

Postby deadpoirotsketch » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:26 pm

deadpoirotsketch

Postby Glenn » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:10 pm

Glenn

Postby deadpoirotsketch » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:48 pm

Hi Glenn,

I have to admit I don't record into Wave Corrector, rather I use quite a good sound editor - but I haven't a clue whether it or wave corrector contain any automatic software mechanism to "soften" clipping or other artifacts should they occur. I think we would probably agreee it is best to avoid the need to correct the waveform being recorded in the first place if we can. (Smile).

I think that clipping arises if the maximum voltage difference of the waveform peaks exceeds the fixed voltage difference at the card input. So in my admittedly naive way I guess the audiophile 2496 may have a smaller pd on the analogue input line than the audigy (...do hope I'm using the right terminology). I really don't know if it is possible for that analogue input potential difference to be controlled digitally - i.e in anaology to widen or narrow the stable door. If any of my conjecture is correct it seems more straightforward to design the card with a large pd in the first place. As the audiophile 2496 is sold on the basis of digitising your record collection it does seem like a horrible fault to have. Seems to me that the maximum acceptable phono cartridge output should be highlighted if the manufacturer is not going to alter the circuit.

Luckily I haven't spoilt any recordings because of the control in my pre-amp. Much more luck than genius I am very ready to admit.

I wonder why record deck manufacturers don't go the whole way and build a preamp and good ADC convertor into a good quality deck and give us outputs that can go to a digital amp or to the SPDIF on a soundcard? Or even just sell a pre-amp and ADC in a box especially for digitisation of vinyl and shellac?

You may be right about a "digital potentiometer". Apparently Magix Audio Cleaning Lab v10 can be used without a pre-amp. You just plug your cartridge straight into the soundcard. I don't have any personal experience of how good this is. I guess the necessary RIAA EQ correction and gain are all applied in software - whether this happens before the waveform is digitised or afterward I don't know. If it works well then maybe we could ask Derek to copy the idea! (Grin).
deadpoirotsketch

Postby adaywayne » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:30 pm

I think that clipping arises if the maximum voltage difference of the waveform peaks exceeds the fixed voltage difference at the card input. So in my admittedly naive way I guess the audiophile 2496 may have a smaller pd on the analogue input line than the audigy (...do hope I'm using the right terminology). I really don't know if it is possible for that analogue input potential difference to be controlled digitally - i.e in anaology to widen or narrow the stable door. If any of my conject
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Clipping will occur if the input signal (analog) to the soundcard exceeds 0.775 volts (+ or -) which, in consumer electronics convention, is equal to 0dB. However. Some the A/D converter of some soundcards, will give significant distortion below this level, which is why a max input of -5 to -3dB is always what I aim for. If I am wrong about this, I'm sure someone will correct me.

After saving the recording to your hard-drive in wave format, it is always a good idea to scan through it with Wave Corrector or other software to visually check for any clipping before burning to disc.
Arnie
adaywayne

Fader circuit

Postby deadpoirotsketch » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:02 pm

The Audiophile 2496 has an input impedance of 10kilohm (according to the manual). If anyone wants to construct a pot-in-a-box to reduce the analogue line-in signal to this sound card then you can use the following:

10 kilohm, linear taper, dual-gang, 4 watt potentiometer.

Typical UK supplier Maplin at £1.99

By the time you've bought a metal box, dual core screened cable, phono plugs and whatever line socket you need to connect to your pre-amp or amplifier line-out cable, it will cost approx £8-£10. For the sake of completeness I added an earth wire and tag to attach to my PC chassis from the metal box in case of hum, and to try not to add significantly to the noise floor - but this may be overkill.

There is an interesting related article including wiring details here:
"Nine ways to adjust signal level"
http://www.termpro.com/articles/faders.html
deadpoirotsketch

Previous

Return to Chat