sound levelling

This forum is for discussing Wave Corrector, audio projects, tips & tricks etc.

Moderator: Derek

sound levelling

Postby lltunes » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:47 pm

If one purchases upgrade to Music Matchbox, apparently there is a feature there that will equalize sound levels on songs once they are on your computer. I don't have that software so I don't know how it works.

I have copied many old cassettes to my computer and have split each into separate songs. I selected several songs from different tapes and tried to burn. But when I listened to the CD, I had to continually adjust the volume on player. Some played much louder than other and some I could hardly hear. I sure would like to be able to level out all the sound so they play at the same levels.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any other software which will equalize volume levels. Nothing fancy, just the basics.
lltunes

Postby citguy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:45 am

I believe you will have to save all the tracks separately and then reload each of them one at a time to nomalize them individually. I could be wrong on this. Derek?????

Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:18 am

citguy wrote:I believe you will have to save all the tracks separately and then reload each of them one at a time to nomalize them individually. I could be wrong on this. Derek?????

Stan

Yes, this is correct. The only way to normalise individual tracks is to load them in indivdually, say in a batch operation.

Many player programs (eg Winamp, Foobar, etc) have a feature called 'replay gain'. This tags each file with a replay volume setting and is an alternative approach to normalisation of the audio data itself - something that you may want to investigate.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

sound normalizing

Postby lltunes » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:19 pm

Many thanks Stan and Derek for your replys but I cannot understand how one can normalize individual songs. If one song is just right and another is very loud, how can one song be normalized individually if there is no comparison sound level?

I am not too proficient in these things and still have a lot to learn.

I hope you can be patient with my seemingly stupid questions.
lltunes

Postby citguy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:46 pm

No stupid questions here. Normalizing raises the loudest signal on each file you normalize to the same peak level (-1db I believe but could be wrong). So you are correct, if you normalize each track even the softest ones will be brougt up to that peak. If you have a group of songs all in the same file, only the loudest peak will be at peak level (-1 db for instance) and the others will be brought up the same number of decibles but not to the same peak level.

jStan
citguy

Postby interactive dj » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:02 am

Just to add to this old post. While playing around with Karaoke files I had the need to "Normalise" the tracks and found this interesting utility http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ called mp3gain which seems to do a good job on MP3 files.
Regards

Martin
interactive dj

Re: sound levelling

Postby ashley » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:37 am

lltunes wrote:If one purchases upgrade to Music Matchbox, apparently there is a feature there that will equalize sound levels on songs once they are on your computer. I don't have that software so I don't know how it works.

I have copied many old cassettes to my computer and have split each into separate songs. I selected several songs from different tapes and tried to burn. But when I listened to the CD, I had to continually adjust the volume on player. Some played much louder than other and some I could hardly hear. I sure would like to be able to level out all the sound so they play at the same levels.
I was wondering if anyone knows of any other software which will equalize volume levels. Nothing fancy, just the basics.

Try it with FlexiMusic Wave Editor, an audio editing and converting software. Play the audio files in this software, from the menu; select “volume” command where in either choose "simple Compress/ Expand" or "Dynamic Compress/ Expand" option to equalize the volume throughout the whole audio file. It is best to opt "Simple Compress/ Expand" option. The usage of Simple Compress/ Expand option is that, it will choose the optimum (maximum) level of volume of the audio file and this will be applied for the whole audio file. While using Dynamic Compress/ Expand option, the volume will be changed randomly. This option will increase the volume where it is low and decrease the volume where it is high.
ashley

Return to Chat