[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wave Corrector Users • View topic - Tapes

Tapes

This forum is for discussing Wave Corrector, audio projects, tips & tricks etc.

Moderator: Derek

Tapes

Postby auldyin » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:22 pm

Hi,
I'm in the process of digitising several hundred tapes, many of which were recorded from vinyl.
Should I set up Wave Corrector to process them as them as tapes or vinyl when converting to waves?

If any of you guys have lots of experience in this process as a whole, your help would be most valuable

Thanks,
auldyin
auldyin

Postby citguy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:44 am

citguy

Postby Derek » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:42 am

Derek
Site Admin

Postby auldyin » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:19 pm

auldyin

Postby adaywayne » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:40 pm

I usually just treat tapes I made from LPs(assuming I do not have the original LPs) as if they were LPs. I think the first question to ask is "is the Tape hiss really audible above the music?" I find that, esecially if I have used good quality tape, a good tape-deck, and Dolby noise reduction, I cannot hear any hiss (at the beginning of the tape for eample, before the music starts) unless I really turn the volume up way beyond any normal level.

Of course, my ears are 70-years old. Others may hear things that I can't!
Arnie
adaywayne

Postby auldyin » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:46 pm

My ears are 61 years old and not all that great (lots of miss spent years playing in bands and listening to loud music I'm afraid)

However, I am aware of some tape hiss in quiet passages, mainly with violin(?) and female vocalists. At one stage I thought I was becoming "kind of allergic" to treble frequencies but have found that this is not the case.

auldyin
auldyin

Postby citguy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:54 pm

I also suffer from "musicians ear" so if I can hear hiss at the beginning of a "boundry audition" I know it's there. :) I test the hiss filter a lot before choosing a setting. The first two settings are about as far as I usually go. Same with treble cut. When testing I focus on the recorded material more than the hiss and when it begins to degrade I back off one setting. Of course the kind of hiss is important. A 78 with lots of surface noise is much different than an old cassette with background hiss.
Stan
citguy

Postby adaywayne » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:03 pm

adaywayne

Return to Chat