Recording under water!

This forum is for discussing Wave Corrector, audio projects, tips & tricks etc.

Moderator: Derek

Recording under water!

Postby Christopher Squier » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:10 am

I find the best way to record old vinyl lp's (after cleaning with a proprietary cleaner) is to drip on a thin film of a water/detergent mixture (to reduce surface tension) and spread with with a tissue as the record rotates. It is necessary to add more fluid as the cartridge tracks across the record but the film dries quickly after playing the record and does not seem to leave a residue. This treatment significantly improves the recorded sound and makes subsequent electronic processing much easier.
Christopher Squier
Iowa City
Iowa USA
Christopher Squier

Postby David » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:47 am

I have used this technique in the past but have always found that some residue will remain on the record surface. This can be removed by washing the surface with tepid distilled water and immediatly drying the record with very absorbant material. Care should also be taken not to damage the record label.

Wet Playing a record which is very noisy is a vallid way of getting a good sound but will invariably require the record to always be played wet.

Regarding valuable records it will always be worth having them machine cleaned before attempting to copy them.
David

Postby chaswin » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:30 pm

I understand that playing whilst wet causes permanent damage to the LP. The theory is that there are minute air bubbles in the vinyl which become bigger, making more noise, due to the relatively large pressure exerted by the stylus. As David points out, once an LP has been played wet it will be noisier than before if played dry. Something to be done only if there is no alternative.
chaswin

Return to Chat