Listening to Music while Recording?

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Listening to Music while Recording?

Postby Rodan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:35 pm

Does this program support listening to the music as you record it? I would assume you can but can't seem to get it to work.

I have the playback device set to my sound card while the record device is set to use the USB Audio Codec (running the USB PhonoPlus device).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rodan

Postby citguy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:57 pm

Hi Rodan. As far as I know, and I don't know very much, it is not possible to hear the music that has been recorded 'as it is recording'. On the other hand, I just listen to the output of my control amp (pre amp) as I am recording. There may be a way to route your sound card inputs to your sound card outputs thru another program. Do you have external playback equipment connected to your sound card or are you using 'computer sound' only. Others on the list should have much to say about this.
Stan
citguy

Postby Rodan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:53 am

Not possible? Doh! Another program that came with the pre-amp was Audacity and it did play as you recorded, so I figured it wasn't my system but some setting I had misclicked. Perhaps if I take another set of cables and go from the line out to the sound card it will work but I don't have one of those RCA to sound card adapters....back to the store.
Thanks for responding.
Rodan

Postby Ray Bell » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:28 am

Rodan

I guess your problem may be because you are using an external USB digitiser. I use a conventional internal soundcard (Creative Audigy) and routinely monitor the recording through my computer speakers without any problems. I do this to note the timing of any severe clicks so I can later check how well Wave Corrector has eliminated them. I never had to change any settings to do this other than ensuring 'line in' was enabled as a playback source (as well as recording source) in the windows control panel mixer.

Ray
Ray Bell

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:20 am

Yes, I can confirm that it's not possible, in Wave Corrector, to playback through you soundcard while recording from a USB capture device.

I'm a little surprised that Audacity allows you to do this although I can imagine how it might have been implemented. I'll investigate this further and may be able to do something similar in Wave Corrector.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Thanks!

Postby Rodan » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:13 pm

That would be great! :)
Rodan

Postby deeor2 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:10 pm

I have just encountered this problem on a friend's PC. He has bought a USB turntable which is supplied with Audacity software. Track splitting has to be done manually and click correction is difficult. I thought I would convert him to Wave Corrector but the inability to listen to the audio while playing was a big problem for him.

Have you been able to address this Derek? These turntables are being heavily marketed at present.
deeor2

Postby Derek » Fri May 18, 2007 8:10 am

Yes, this is becoming a more important request. Thanks for the reminder. It slipped of the radar for the last release but I'll take another look at it and hopefully implement it in the next release.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby citguy » Fri May 18, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi Derek.
Are we talking about actually hearing what has been recorded or just listening to the "input signal" via the outputs? I listen when recording thru my preamp outputs, of course this is not monitoring the hard drive recorded signal. I guess I fail to see what the problem is UNLESS there is no control preamp available to monitor with.
Stan
citguy

Postby Glenn » Fri May 18, 2007 4:32 pm

Hi,
I've seen these usb tables. Interesting contraptions they are; I especially like the high speed record function they have but wonder what the fidelity would be like in the upper registers.

Getting to my point, not being able to hear a real-time recording in Wave Corrector shouldn't be off-putting. If Audicity does live auditioning, then go with it; save the file and open it in Wave Corrector. The problem with Audacity, as you've pointed out, is it doesn't have Wave Corrector's capabilities.

This is not to say that Derek shouldn't address this issue :) .

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Fri May 18, 2007 4:53 pm

citguy wrote:Hi Derek.
Are we talking about actually hearing what has been recorded or just listening to the "input signal" via the outputs? I listen when recording thru my preamp outputs, of course this is not monitoring the hard drive recorded signal. I guess I fail to see what the problem is UNLESS there is no control preamp available to monitor with.
Stan

Yes Stan that is exactly the problem. These USB devices do not have any audio out ports; their output is solely to a USB connector. Therefore, you cannot hear what is being recorded unless it can be routed to the computer's internal soundcard. Audacity can do this but Wave Corrector, at present, cannot.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby deeor2 » Fri May 18, 2007 7:32 pm

"Getting to my point, not being able to hear a real-time recording in Wave Corrector shouldn't be off-putting. If Audicity does live auditioning, then go with it; save the file and open it in Wave Corrector. The problem with Audacity, as you've pointed out, is it doesn't have Wave Corrector's capabilities. "

I am now so accustomed to using Wave Corrector for the whole process that I would be loath to revert to using two pieces of software. Also my friend struggles with some aspects of IT and I don't relish the prospect of adding complications as I would be the one who had to sort them out :roll:
deeor2

Postby Derek » Mon May 21, 2007 8:48 am

Another possibility is to use Audacity simply for monitoring the USB device. During monitoring, you can use Wave Corrector for making your recording as normal. I've just tried this and it works fine.

I know this is not the ideal solution but it will work until I can devise a better one.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby deeor2 » Tue May 22, 2007 6:39 pm

Thanks derek I'll try that. Didn't do it before because I thought the problem was actually a conflict between Audacity and Wave Corrector.
deeor2

Postby Derek » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:36 pm

The latest beta now includes the option to monitor the audio from a USB soundcard. It's still a bit experimental but it works OK on the systems I've tried it on. See http://www.wavecor.co.uk/wavebeta.html
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support