AGC settings in new 3.2

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

AGC settings in new 3.2

Postby ramiller » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:43 am

I would like to know, if possible, at what levels do the AGC settings operate...when I scan for clicks at detection level 3, if I set the AGC at 1--does it ignore all clicks detected above -10db or maybe its -6 db?--at AGC 2 is it say -20db or -12??

I've read that each bit in a digital recording is roughly equvilent to 6db (not sure) per bit, making a 16bit cd about 96db s/n.

Maybe at a level of 1 it ignores detections if the most significant bit is high and it level 2 the next most--and so on. The reason I would like to know is sometimes when I record to cd, I tend to set the levels a bit low to avoid running over 0db. If my loudest peak on the recording is -7db does setting the AGC at 1 do anything?---I always could normalize to -1 before scanning for clicks, but thats not always possible with classical music when some tracks are a lot louder than others.
ramiller

Postby Derek » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:22 am

It's not possible to give a hard and fast rule for this. Click detection works on relative levels rather than absolute. It also works on a highly filtered version of the signal. Therefore AGC setting is not related directly to the absolute signal level.

The best advice is to experiment with different settings and different types of music to get a feel for the effect of the settings. I'm sorry I can't be more definite but click detection is dependant on so many different factors that it is just not possible.

The term AGC may be misleading you. Because click detection works on relative amplitudes, it is an inherent characteristic of the click detector that clicks have to be louder during loud passages in order to be detected. The AGC setting exaggerates this effect according to the setting you choose.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Support