Block is too long to complete the operation

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Block is too long to complete the operation

Postby William Urquhart » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:40 pm

when trying to substantially shorten a block via cut and splice I get this error. Is there any way around this?
Thanks in advance -

Bill
William Urquhart

Postby citguy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:24 pm

Bill. I've used cut and splice to take out what I consider to be hugh chunks of unwanted material and have never received that message. Could there be a ram shortage on your computer? What horizontal scale to you have the grid set for and how many minutes of material are you talking about when this occurs? I probably do not attempt to "cut and splice" more than three to four minutes of material at a time.
Stan
citguy

Postby William Urquhart » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:28 pm

Stan,
Thanks for your reply. I have 512MB on the computer and can get about 300MB free if I run a utility. The sound clip I was editing was a short 20 sec or so clip and I just wanted a 1 sec portion of that. The action I was seeing was that I could delete large chunks of that clip to begin with but after a few of those I could not select a block that was short enough to avoid the error no matter what the horizontal scale. I did find a work around by shifting the track markers to delineate the portion I wanted. I know block cut and splice worked fine for me on an older release. I am on 3.1r1 now.
Bill
William Urquhart

Postby citguy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:58 pm

[quote:'but after a few of those I could not select a block that was short enough to avoid the error no matter what the horizontal scale. I did find a work around by shifting the track markers to delineate the portion I wanted.]

Bill. I have had similar problems adjusting boundries to eliminate material if the track size gets too small. I usually just merge the material with an adjacent track and proceed to eliminate it. I assume you are changing the horizontal scale as you narrow down the material you are deleting. We probably need Derek to discuss if there is a limit on how short a track can be and still be edited.(if I understand the problem correctly)
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:06 pm

William Urquhart wrote:Stan,
Thanks for your reply. I have 512MB on the computer and can get about 300MB free if I run a utility. The sound clip I was editing was a short 20 sec or so clip and I just wanted a 1 sec portion of that. The action I was seeing was that I could delete large chunks of that clip to begin with but after a few of those I could not select a block that was short enough to avoid the error no matter what the horizontal scale. I did find a work around by shifting the track markers to delineate the portion I wanted. I know block cut and splice worked fine for me on an older release. I am on 3.1r1 now.
Bill

There is a minimum track length in Wave Corrector of 2 seconds. Wen you cut a block, the prgram tries to merge tracks if necessary to conform to the 2 second limit. In your case the overall length of the file became less than 2 seconds and therefore the error occurred.

Sorry if the error message was a little cryptic. I must admit I had to look through the source code to figure out the cause. :D
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby William Urquhart » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:00 pm

Derek,

Thanks so much for your reply. It really was a stupid project to try but it made me think I was doing something wrong. And thank you for a great product, now if I just had the time to process all those records in the closet.

Bill
William Urquhart

Return to Support