How to deal with "fuzzy noise" on LPs?

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Postby Michael J. Melton » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:47 pm

Several times I've attempted to copy old 12" 33rpm LPs but get a lot of fuzzy noise, from static electricity I assume? What is the best way to deal with this? The corrections in Wave Corrector cannot filter it out. I have tried gently rinsing the albums with clean water and using compressed air to lighlty blow dry them, but it seems to do little good. The LPs themselves are not necessarily in bad shape, just certian ones seem to have excessive static.
Thanks in advance!
Michael J. Melton

Re: How to deal with "fuzzy noise" on LPs?

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:31 pm

Michael J. Melton wrote:Several times I've attempted to copy old 12" 33rpm LPs but get a lot of fuzzy noise, from static electricity I assume? What is the best way to deal with this? The corrections in Wave Corrector cannot filter it out. I have tried gently rinsing the albums with clean water and using compressed air to lighlty blow dry them, but it seems to do little good. The LPs themselves are not necessarily in bad shape, just certian ones seem to have excessive static.
Thanks in advance!

This is a difficult question to answer.

Your attempts at washing could have made matters worse. You should only wash records with distilled water as apparently clean water can contain dissolved salts that will precipitate out when you evaporate the water with the compressed air.

If the problem only affects some of your records then it cannot really be a static problem. It sounds as though the records are contaminated with ingrained dirt or are badly worn. This may not be obvious from a visual inspection. You could consider having them professionally cleaned if you can find such a service in your area.

If they are worn, it is sometimes possible to get an improved result by using a different profile stylus that contacts a different section of the groove wall. You can also try using a higher tracking weight.

Using Wave corrector to remove this noise is very difficult and is unlikely to be totally effective. The technique is to use the SuperScan command at high sensitivity; and to run it for a number of passes until the number of clicks detected reduces to a low level.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Re: Fuzzy lps

Postby JimF » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:17 pm

I agree that washing won't help unless you have access to a professional solution - I seem to recall a company called Keith Monk audio had a sort of vacuum cleaner arrangement that washed the record in a mixture of distilled water and isopropol alcohol.
One thing to try if you're desperate is to play the record slightly wet, there was an arm that tracked across the disk dispensing fluid - about 20% isopropol aclohol and the rest distilled water. My theory is that any wetting of the record surface causes miciscopic dust to stick when it dries and I doubt that all this does the vinyl any favours but it might just help you get a clean transfer.

I hope this is some help
JimF

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:35 pm

I remember having a static charge on the stylus and buying a solution that stopped the noise.
Mark

Postby ramiller » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:01 am

When I get that "fuzzy" sound, its usually a dirty stylus (sometimes its just a bad lp)---I clean all my records with a record brush (it must have fine bristels that can get to the bottom of the groove or your just pushing dirt into the groove) and my own fluid made from distilled water--alcohol--and a couple of drops of mild detergent and a drop of wetting agent (like kodak photoflow, this breaks the surface tension of the water and allows it to flow to the bottom of the grooves)...then I vacuum the record dry with a record doctor vacuum. If you wet clean your lp, you MUST get the record dry or it will gunk up your stylus causing that fuzzy sound. Get a good stylus brush to clean your stylus--I clean mine often--almost every lp. I have problems sometimes even after vacuuming, but it is amazing how good a record sounds if you get it truly clean------ The other commom fuzzy problem is a dirty switch or pot in a 20 year old preamp. contact cleaner will fix that--but getting to the back of a switch or pot is another issue!
ramiller

Return to Support