program 'hangs' on superscan

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

program 'hangs' on superscan

Postby citguy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:04 am

Loading a file detected and processed 205,617 clicks. Running 'superscan' detected 55,032 additional clicks and processed them EXCEPT 'superscan' hung at 99 percent completion. I had to use alt-cntrl-delete to end the task and close WC. My solution was to scan the wave file without track detection and let WC process the 205,617 clicks then 'close and save'. I then reloaded the corrected wave file and detected 74,589 additional clicks which WC processed normally. The question this raises is whether there is a 'limit' on how many total clicks WC can keep track of. I can't think of any other reason the program would hang on 'superscan'. WC continues to please but it would be good to know 'in advance' if the program is going to freeze or not.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Stan

I'll investigate this but I think it may be that you didn't wait long enough before you aborted the program. At the end of the superscan, the program merges the new corrections with the existing corrections and this can take a long time when the numbers are as large as you have here.

Can you try repeating the process and give it a few minutes to complete before aborting?

There is no limit to the number of corrections that the program can handle. If you are running under Win95,98 or ME, there is a linit of 32k on the number of corrections that can be listed. But this does not prevent a larger number of corrections being processed.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby citguy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:17 pm

Thanks Derek. I had seen 'super scan' 'hang' at 99 percent completion for two or three minutes in the past and assumed it was processing. With the unusually high number of clicks it was hanging for 15 or 20 minutes before I finnally decided to terminate the process. There is no apparent hard drive activity during this time. I assume "save and close" then reopening and scanning detects the same number of clicks as 'super scan', or does it? Thanks.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:56 am

Yes 15 to 20 minutes does dsound excessively long. I'll investigate this and get back to you. Note, there wouldn't necessarily be any disk activity during the correction merging period because corrections are held in memory and not on disk.

I confirm that save and closing, followed by reopening will give the same results as superscan.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:33 am

Stan

I've looked into this and I'm fairly sure that the program isn't hanging as such; it is just taking an inordinantly long time to complete the operation.

I've made a test version of the program to activate the progress bar during the sorting operations. If you send me a private email, I'll send you a copy to test.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Support