Question

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Question

Postby Petlydecker » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:11 pm

Hello,

I have a question about click removal (threshold 3), filters (hiss 14db), balance, normalise(-1db) and trim silence? I just cleaned up some tracks with these above mentioned options in Wave Corrector. I noticed that the CD I made with these cleaned tracks lacked some bass in the sound. Could I have set these options to high or did I select to many of them in combination. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter
Petlydecker

Postby citguy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:26 pm

Hi Peter. I have found that when using filters it is very important to "test" the filters effects before applying them. The hum filter if checked will definitely affect bass response and the his filter needs to be used with care. I usually only use the filters for tape recordings and not vinyl. Also, if you do not have a clean "profile" sampled you will get all kinds of unwanted results. With tape if there is room ambiance on the profile as opposed to pure tape hiss it will affect your program material.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:04 am

Yes, of the processes that you are using, only the hiss filter could be causing the loss of bass.

As Stan says, it is not recommended to use the hiss filter on vinyl recordings. Professionally recorded vinyl has very low levels of background hiss and there is no advantage from using the hiss filter on such recordings. The only exception to this would be if you had made your own tape/cassette recordings from vinyl originals. In this case, the tape would have added some significant hiss that you could use the hiss filter to remove. However, in this case, it would be advisable to manually check the noise profile, as Stan has recommended.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Thank you!

Postby Petlydecker » Tue May 09, 2006 2:05 pm

Thank you for your help.
Petlydecker

Return to Support