Merging tracks

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Merging tracks

Postby adaywayne » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:25 pm

I am trying to merge two tracks. I create a block which encompasses the end of the first block and the beginning of the second block.

When I click "Merge Tracks" I get a new window saying the tracks will be permanently merged, so I click OK. Nothing seems to happen and, when I save the file and reopen it, the two separate tracks are still there.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

For the time being, I am using the "Cut as Splice" method which works fine but takes longer.

Arnie
adaywayne

Postby citguy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:16 pm

Arnie. No need for the block. If you have been 'auditioning track bounderies' just make sure you are at the end of the first track or the beginning of the second track you are merging. If you choose 'merge tracks' you will receive a warning that you are about to merge ,for instance, track 4 and track 5. You can then edit your merge with cut and splice. I'm sure Derek has some other possibilities. I've used WC for several years and always learn something new when Derek explains things.
Stan
citguy

Postby adaywayne » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:32 pm

Thanks, Stan. I was just following the instructions in Derek's help file. I was not auditioning track boundaries. I have several streaming recordings which have gaps in them due to slow server and just need to merge them. As I said, I do get the mesage that e.e, "Tracks 1 and 2 will be permanently merged" but that does not happen when I click "OK".

Thanks again,
Arnie
adaywayne

Postby citguy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:29 pm

Arnie wrote: I do get the mesage that e.e, "Tracks 1 and 2 will be permanently merged" but that does not happen when I click "OK".

Are you sure it is not happening. You will still see 'track 1 and 2' but 'track 2' will now be what used to be 'track 3'. If I understand you correctly the material you are trying to "tighten up" is actually two separate tracks and not just one track with a lot of empty space between songs.

Stan
citguy

Postby adaywayne » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:15 pm

Ye, that is correct.....I make sure the file opens as two tracks by having "Track Slitting" enabled.

The reason I know that the tracks have not been merged is because, when I save the result, it saves as two tracks again with the long pause between them.
Arnie
adaywayne

Postby citguy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:51 am

Not sure I understand but if you have not removed the empty space by editing the track boundries, the empty space will still be part of the new merged track.
Stan
citguy

Postby adaywayne » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:59 pm

I'm finally with you , Stan. I had wrongly assumed that merging tracks would merge only where there was audio and would remove the silences. Perhaps "combine" or "recombine" tracks would be more clear.

Thanks for all your help.
Arnie
adaywayne

Postby Derek » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:22 am

Yes, to remove a section of silence within a track, you need to use 'cut & splice'. Mark the section to be cut as a block and use the cut & splice command. The sections before and after the block will then be merged.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Support