Quick Step by Step Directions?

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Quick Step by Step Directions?

Postby Michael J. Melton » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:24 pm

Although I have used WaveCorrector for about 20 LPs now, I do not use it often enough to feel "comfortable" about it every new time I sit down to record. I would consider myself an experienced novice.

Derek, do you have a quick standard list of directions to follow, in order, when copying LPs and processing them, as well as what to watch out for along the way? I generally copy an entire album side at once, manually cut in the track boundaries, audition the boundaries, possibly superscan if needed, then Normalise, Channel Balance, and save.
One time have I used the graphic equalizer, to boost treble on an old Judas Priest album. Very useful when it's needed.

One song I have particular trouble with is Sand and Foam, by Donovan.....this song has a sharp treble distortion everytime he sings an "S" sound..., not sure if it is from the song itself or the condition of my album. It is similar to the static noise post of mine in the Support category. I could send a short sample if you are interested in hearing it.

Thanks
Michael J. Melton

Re: Quick Step by Step Directions?

Postby Derek » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:47 am

Michael J. Melton wrote:Derek, do you have a quick standard list of directions to follow, in order, when copying LPs and processing them, as well as what to watch out for along the way?

It's difficult to answer this question concisely. I've been working on a series of tutorials but it's going rather slowly and I can't say when they'll be published. There is the 'Getting Started' guide on the website that covers the basics and for the time being you will need to rely on that together with the user manual.
I generally copy an entire album side at once, manually cut in the track boundaries, audition the boundaries, possibly superscan if needed, then Normalise, Channel Balance, and save.
One time have I used the graphic equalizer, to boost treble on an old Judas Priest album. Very useful when it's needed.]

Yes this sequence would be appropriate in most cases. Just some comments:

Finding Tracks: You say you manually cut the track boundaries. With some source material this is absolutely necessary; however, in many cases the automatic track detection will work if you use the ReScan Tracks command (Waveform menu) and set a different track detection threshold.

SuperScan: Again this is sometimes necessary but if there is just the odd click that has been missed in the first scan, then it is better to manually insert a correction; or to use 'Cut & Splice' if there is a really bad blemish.

Graphic Equaliser: If you just want some treble boost, it is easier to use the treble control filter. This won't give you as much control as the graphic equaliser but it is easier to use and is faster in operation.
One song I have particular trouble with is Sand and Foam, by Donovan.....this song has a sharp treble distortion everytime he sings an "S" sound..., not sure if it is from the song itself or the condition of my album. It is similar to the static noise post of mine in the Support category. I could send a short sample if you are interested in hearing it.

This sounds like tracking distortion, probably due to a worn record. There's not much you can do to correct this. Do send me a sample if you want a more considered opinion.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Support