Yet another quest for quality sound from vinyl

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Yet another quest for quality sound from vinyl

Postby GeorgeButel » Fri May 04, 2007 3:49 pm

When crackle, static or whatever it is in vinyl happens to be virtually omnipresent, no amount of multiple filtering will remove it. I have tried wet and dry playing, different phonographs, different stylus weights, and even using a 78 stylus to try and get quality sound off of a couple of apparently mistreated 45s purchased via GEMM. They sound as though someone pushed the stylus into the vinyl on certain sections, causing what sounds like a scratch within the groove. The best sound quality comes with wet playing with a 78 stylus using my old Pioneer instead of the Garrard turntable, then selecting the channel with the best sound to keep. Filtering the appropriate frequency range, as well as repeated click removal, then discarding the worst channel (if there is a difference), will make the sound tolerable. I use Sound Forge to remove the DC offset before processing with Wave Corrector, and I have had some luck using Sound Forge's smooth/enhance function after the Wave Corrector processing, but I still cannot get the sound quality I want.

Does there exist software that can analyze a track and separate it into [virtual] component instruments/voice? If this can be done, then the static would be detected as an instrument and could then be filtered out. I am also wondering if it is possible to obtain a wider stylus than a regular 78 one.
George
GeorgeButel

Postby Derek » Sat May 05, 2007 3:04 pm

Hello

It sounds as though you have already achieved the maximum possible given the sad state of these recordings.

I'm not aware of any software that will separate different instruments; it would require a form of artificial intelligence to do so. There are programs that claim to separate vocals from music but all these do, so far as I know, is separate the sum and difference channels since vocalists are normally at centre stage. I don't think this would be much help in your situation.

Regarding the extra wide stylus, this is outside my expertise but someone else may be able to advise.

Good luck with your project.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Support