song separations

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

song separations

Postby lltunes » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:49 pm

After recording all my songs, I save them as .wav files. My goal is to split each file into a separate song files to name them individually. BUT once I scan, the corrected file is split into tracks and copied to the OUTPUT folder. These tracks do not represent song divisions but the track detections. I cannot figure out why these tracks would be used as some are blank. I presume they are lead-in noise. I am a real newbie at all this and don't yet understand ALL that WaveCorrector can do.

My question is, does anyone know if there is an option to save a fully cleaned file to one file rather than the individual tracks? Then I could select, cut and paste each song to a separate file.

Can anyone guide me as to how to select, cut and paste a song to a new file which I can name separately from the original file containing all songs recorded from a tape or record? I have tried and tried and cannot find a way.
lltunes

Postby Derek » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:23 am

To save the entire LP as a single file, you use the ReScan tracks command on the Waveform menu and set the Track detection Threshold to '0' (off). This will remove all track markers and when you 'Save & Close' a single file will be produced in your output folder.

However, what you really want to do is produce separate track files, one for each song. It sounds as though the track detector is not working effectively.

Wave Corrector will automatically separate album files into separate tracks assuming the tracks consist of regular music with a second or two of silence between each. The program detects this silence and starts a new track accordingly.

The tracks are displayed in alternating colours in the bottom overview window, and they are appended to the Tracks menu so you can see the number of tracks and the length of each one.

If the program is not detecting the right number of tracks, you may need to adjust the track detection threshold; - use the Rescan tracks command on the Waveform menu and select a different value for 'Track Detection Threshold'.

It sounds as though you may have repeatedly recorded the run out groove. This can cause a lot of very short tracks to be detected. The best way to avoid this is to mark the run out groove region as a block and select 'Cut & Splice' from the Block menu. This will cut out this section of the recording and no tracks will be detected there.

Some records (eg those with long quiet passages) are not suitable for automatic track detection. In these cases you will need to manually split the tracks. To do this, centre the screen at each split point in turn and use the Split Track toolbar button. A new track will be started at that point.

Having got the right number of tracks, you can precisely position them to start and end exactly where you want them. Step between the 'track boundary' markers using the Next Marker and Previous Marker toolbar buttons (black double arrows). Use the 'Audition Track Boundary' toolbar button to check the boundary.

If the boundary is not exactly where you want it, drag it to the left or right with the mouse. In this screen, you can also and/or fades or silence to the beginning and end of tracks.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby lltunes » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:12 pm

Thanks Derek
I tried recording and set the track detector to nil. Works great in that I now get only 1 file. I did get a warning message saying that the noise profile may be unreliable (f1). However, I still need to separate each song though.
The songs do have the silent space in between but don't know why this is not working for me. I tried recording at 1 but still got too many tracks. I think it may be the lead in noises that are creating tracks because when I look at those files, there is nothing there.
Your mention of run out groove is totally beyond me at this point.
I found though that if I select the songs I do not want and cut them out, I can get a single file for one song I do want. I do that for the whole file, selecting and cutting and it works well enough. Although, there is no option to name the file with the song. I need to rename the file later. I found my way around to get done what I want.

Other than that, I am having a wonderful time experimenting with this!
WISHING...Would be nice if I could get WaveCorr to split the songs and let me choose what name I want when saving.
lltunes

Postby Derek » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:39 pm

I don't know what's causing the problem with the track detector. It usually works fine if the songs have distinct silent gaps between them. If you do 'ReScan Tracks' and set the threshold to say, 3, how many tracks does the program detect and how long is each track? (You'll see them all listed at the bottom of the Tracks menu.)

When I mentioned the run out groove, I was assuming you were recording from a vinyl record. When a record player gets to the end of a record, you get a repeating click, once per revolution as the stylus passes over the end of the spiral. This continues until you stop the recording and can cause the track detector to detect multiple tracks. However, in your case, it appears that your source is tape rather than vinyl so you won't have the run-out groove clicks.

The 'noise profile may be unreliable' warning is telling you that the program was unable to accurately measure the noise and that therefore the hiss filter might produce unpleasant side effects. This usually happens if you don't record any lead-in to the music. This is an interval when there is tape hiss present but no music. The program tries to measures the noise in this interval.

To name your files according to the track titles, you need to assign titles
using the Track Properties toolbar button. Then, when you save, choose the file naming rule, 'TITLE', ( or '# - TITLE' if you want the track number included in the file name.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby adaywayne » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:27 pm

lltunes wrote:Thanks Derek
I tried recording and set the track detector to nil. Works great in that I now get only 1 file. I did get a warning message saying that the noise profile may be unreliable (f1). However, I still need to separate each song though.
The songs do have the silent space in between but don't know why this is not working for me. I tried recording at 1 but still got too many tracks. I think it may be the lead in noises that are creating tracks because when I look at those files, there is nothing there.
Your mention of run out groove is totally beyond me at this point.
I found though that if I select the songs I do not want and cut them out, I can get a single file for one song I do want. I do that for the whole file, selecting and cutting and it works well enough. Although, there is no option to name the file with the song. I need to rename the file later. I found my way around to get done what I want.

Other than that, I am having a wonderful time experimenting with this!
WISHING...Would be nice if I could get WaveCorr to split the songs and let me choose what name I want when saving.

Unfortunately ( and I hope Derek agrees) it is almost impossible to design an automatic track-splitter that works properly everytime. There are simply too many competing variables.....silent parts in the middle of a track, record noise/applause/chatter between tracks etc. I long ago gave up and now always split manually. That way, I can also cut out unwanted long silences between tracks.
Arnie
adaywayne

Postby Derek » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:18 am

adaywayne wrote:Unfortunately ( and I hope Derek agrees) it is almost impossible to design an automatic track-splitter that works properly everytime. There are simply too many competing variables.....silent parts in the middle of a track, record noise/applause/chatter between tracks etc. I long ago gave up and now always split manually. That way, I can also cut out unwanted long silences between tracks.
Arnie

Yes I agree with this. But it depends a little on the type of music. With most classical music, live concerts etc, then you do need to manually split the tracks. However, many 'regular' pop music albums can be split automatically. It all depends on whether there are disitinct gaps between tracks and whether the tracks themselves are reasonably loud throughout their length. If these criteria are met then automatic track separation should work without a problem.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Support