Track Splitting Message

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Track Splitting Message

Postby Gene » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi
I have only been using WC for a short time, but am having some success converting vinyl to CD. I'm trying to convert a 100 minute Sony metal cassette tape with recorded vinyl LP's on it, and am having some difficulty. One is the length, it will not fit on a CD without compression, the other is track splitting, when I try to split the tracks I get this message, "The split point is too close to the start or the end of an existing track" I'm sure of a simple work around, but not having used WC that much...hope someone can advise.
Thanking you in advance,
Gene
Gene

Postby citguy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:20 am

Hi Gene. This is a common message. It means the automatic track splitting has created another track (maybe only a few seconds long) to close to your chosen split point. You may not even be able to see it as a separate track. I usually move to the end of the track and perform a "merge tracks" then go back and try to do my split. The other alternative is to 'rescan tracks' and choose 'remove all' then you should have no problem splitting the tracks as you wish.
Stan
citguy

Track Splitting Message

Postby Gene » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:24 pm

Thank you very much Stan, I will give this a try.
Gene
Gene

Track Splitting Message

Postby Gene » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:52 pm

Stan, did you mean "remove all" in the rescan for tracks menu? Also there are 34 tracks on this tape, and the track counter only goes to 30. I keep reading the help file, but still cannot seem to get it to work.
Thanks for your reply
Gene
By the way I'm using the SE version of WC not PRO
Gene

Postby citguy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:27 pm

Hi again Gene. We might need Derek to resolve this. I don't know what WC does when you have more than thirty tracks. I do know that you get the "too close" message when trying to split a track it usually means you are dealing with a 'fragment' of a track and simply merging the end of that fragment to the next track usually allows the editing to take place. Auto track detection sometimes isolates little bits of material it reads as a separate track such as a pause after an introduction on a track.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:10 am

The program will allow you to have more than 30 tracks (I think the limit is 100) but unfortunately, as you've discovered, you can't enter a target track count greater than 30. In any case, with such a large number of tracks, the automatic track detection is not going to be very reliable as you seem to have discovered :(

You really have two options:

1. Enter a target of 30 and see what the program comes up with. It will probably detect most of your tracks and then you'll need to step through the track boundaries ( use the black double arrow toolbar buttons) to verify which ones are correct. If you find a track boundary where it shouldn't be you can remove it with the 'Merge Tracks' toolbar button.

Then you'll need to insert track boundaries at any positions that the program didn't detect. To do this, centre the display at the point where you want a boundary and use the Split Track toolbar button. The new boundary will be inserted. Repeat until you have all 34 tracks.

2. Alternatively, you can do as Stan suggested and use Remove All to remove all the boundaries; and then scroll through the file and insert boundaries at the end of each track using the Split Track button as described above.

To help get the hang of this, you would probably benefit from working through the track splitting tutorial on our website; see:

http://www.wavecor.co.uk/tutorials/tracksplit.html

One other thing: the tracks are all listed, with their lengths, at the bottom of the Tracks menu. So this is an easy place to spot any mistakes that the program makes.

Good luck
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Track Splitting Message

Postby Gene » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:15 pm

I would like to thank you for your help...this is a great forum! I finally got all the tracks split, but have a couple more issues 1. When I made this tape years ago I let the the recorder do an auto-reverse to side 2..so now I have a track with a 10 second gap in the middle of it, I tried to split it and merge...didn't work. 2. I saved this file as "flac" and when I tried to reload it back into WC to do some editing it said this type of file not recoginzed.
Thanks again,
Gene
Gene

Postby citguy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi Gene. I can't help you with flac but with your 'reversing gap', simply use 'cut and splice' to remove most of the gap then merge the tracks and finally use cut and splice to clean up any of the gap you missed. You can 'expand' the scale so you can 'cut and splice' down to fractions of a second.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:53 pm

You don't need to split and merge to get rid f the 10 second gap. You simply need to drag apart the markers for the end of the last track on side 1 and the start of the first track on side 2. Any gaps between tracks are discarded when you save. Note, to do this, make sure that Gapless is not checked (on the Tracks menu). When the gapless option is selected, you cannot drag apart the track boundaries as described.

Regarding the Flac problem, I will need some more information. If you can save in Flac format, then you should definitely be able to load the file back in. However, you cannot merge Flac files. The Merge Open command will only work with wave files. Can you confirm exactly what you were trying to do with the Flac file; what error message you got etc.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:56 pm

citguy wrote:Hi Gene. I can't help you with flac but with your 'reversing gap', simply use 'cut and splice' to remove most of the gap then merge the tracks and finally use cut and splice to clean up any of the gap you missed. You can 'expand' the scale so you can 'cut and splice' down to fractions of a second.
Stan

Gene can't use cut and splice because he only has the SE version :(
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Track Splitting Message

Postby Gene » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:47 pm

Once I get the feel of WC I will certainly upgrade to PRO.
I will try as you suggested Derek.
Thanking you all very much,
Gene
Gene

Return to Support