New user problems

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

New user problems

Postby renowden » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:24 pm

I've not been doing this for very long so these issues are probably my not understanding things properly.

1. There are times when I get stuck in "Track view" and the "Wave" button does nothing. Is there a reason for this? There do not seem to be any pop-up windows open.

2. When adjusting track start/end boundaries the selection seems to snap to the grid lines. This means that I can't adjust finer than the current horizontal resolution. You can't change the resolution until you accept or cancel the changes already made. This issue doesn't seem to affect the fade in/out boundaries.

3. In the "Save" popup menu, the output folder keeps resetting to somewhere in My Documents (I don't recall where just at the moment) and I have to change it to Y:\ (my music server) every time I run the program.

4. This probably belongs in suggestions. With Auto-Save switched on, using the Save Session to force a save after some critical changes have been made always complains that the file already exists (because it does). I know that and it shouldn't need a confirmation every time.

5. This is probably another suggestion. I am using the file naming convention from a well known CD Ripper i.e. ARTIST\ALBUM\# TITLE so that it matches the other files on my system. When converting a compilation album WC uses the "Track Artist" and scatters the files all over the disk. What I think is needed is a separate "Album Artist" field which I can set to "Various Artists" so they all go in the same folder but appropriately tagged with the "Track Artist". A similar problem exists when there is a "guest track" on an album otherwise all by one artist.

I can provide any additional information required as necessary. Thanks for your patience.
Cheers,

Rick Parsons

Bristol, England
renowden

Re: New user problems

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:52 pm

Hello Rick and welcome.

renowden wrote:I've not been doing this for very long so these issues are probably my not understanding things properly.

1. There are times when I get stuck in "Track view" and the "Wave" button does nothing. Is there a reason for this? There do not seem to be any pop-up windows open.

This is when you are 'locked on' to a track boundary. You cannot change to waveform view when a track boundary is selected (for editing).

2. When adjusting track start/end boundaries the selection seems to snap to the grid lines. This means that I can't adjust finer than the current horizontal resolution. You can't change the resolution until you accept or cancel the changes already made. This issue doesn't seem to affect the fade in/out boundaries.

It does appear to do this, but it doesn't. :)

When you let go of the mouse after dragging a track boundary, the display re-centres itself at the new position - so it appears to snap to a grid line; but in actuality, it is the grid line that is snapping to the new position.

As you've found, you can't change the horizontal resolution while an adjustment is in progress. However, this does not stop you selecting a point in between the grid lines. (in fact you can turn the grid lines off all together (via the View menu) and this might make it clearer what is happening.

3. In the "Save" popup menu, the output folder keeps resetting to somewhere in My Documents (I don't recall where just at the moment) and I have to change it to Y:\ (my music server) every time I run the program.

You can select the output folder using the Paths command on the File menu.

4. This probably belongs in suggestions. With Auto-Save switched on, using the Save Session to force a save after some critical changes have been made always complains that the file already exists (because it does). I know that and it shouldn't need a confirmation every time.

Yes, a good suggestion. I'll see what I can do.

5. This is probably another suggestion. I am using the file naming convention from a well known CD Ripper i.e. ARTIST\ALBUM\# TITLE so that it matches the other files on my system. When converting a compilation album WC uses the "Track Artist" and scatters the files all over the disk. What I think is needed is a separate "Album Artist" field which I can set to "Various Artists" so they all go in the same folder but appropriately tagged with the "Track Artist". A similar problem exists when there is a "guest track" on an album otherwise all by one artist.

I can provide any additional information required as necessary. Thanks for your patience.

Yes, Wave Corrector only provides the most commonly used tags. Album Artist, Composer, Recording Date, etc need to be entered using a separate tagging program.

It seems a little confusing to me having separate album and track artists. However, I'll see what can be done to extend the tagging options.

good luck with your recordings.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby renowden » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi, that's great service :)

1. OK, I see now, though it is not obvious how you get out of it. The only way I can see is to click in the overview window first or a correction in the list at the right (if there are any).

2. Yes, I see. Obvious when you know.

3. Yes, I had missed that.

4. Great.

5. Looks good, though I am actually not too bothered about the tags but the "ALBUM ARTIST" variable would at least put the files in the right place.

Look forward to developments, I have just finished my 5th Reel tape of songs from my distant youth and I am getting better each time (with the help of WC).
Cheers,

Rick Parsons

Bristol, England
renowden

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:05 pm

renowden wrote:Hi, that's great service :)

1. OK, I see now, though it is not obvious how you get out of it. The only way I can see is to click in the overview window first or a correction in the list at the right (if there are any).

The easiest way is to double click almost anywhere in the main window. The window will then centre itself on the point you clicked over and the track boundary will be de-selected. (Just make sure you don't double click exactly on the boundary.)

Alternatively, you can scroll away from the boundary using the scroll bar at the bottom of the main window, or use the left and right cursor keys on the keyboard.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:13 pm

renowden wrote:5. Looks good, though I am actually not too bothered about the tags but the "ALBUM ARTIST" variable would at least put the files in the right place.

If you're not bothered about the tags, then why not just use the Track Artist field for the Album Artist. Note, you can set a default artist and apply it to each track. Then your files will be saved where you want them.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby renowden » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:59 am

Ah sorry, I was imprecise there. I agree that it is confusing having separate album and track artists and it is the Album Artist TAG that I am not bothered about. But I would appreciate the capability of using the value to locate the files. I do use the other tags and even add others like Composer later using a tag editor.

What I am doing at the moment as a work-around is setting the track artist to the album artist value (usually "Various Artists" in the case of these compilations) and afterwards changing it to the real contributor(s) afterwards with the tag editor.
Cheers,

Rick Parsons

Bristol, England
renowden

Return to Support