File Types AGAIN!

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

File Types AGAIN!

Postby Gene » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:59 pm

Derek
Your help or anyone elses would be very much appreaciated, as to why after I have saved a file in WC, the only one I can load back in to work with is a wav file...I get the message, "This File Type Not Supported" Surely I'm not the only one with this problem? If a wav file is all I can work with, then, "I'm dead in the water!"
Thanking you in advance,
Gene
Gene

Postby Derek » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:35 pm

Hello Gene

Yes, sorry, I seem to have missed your previous message. You should definitely be able to load Ape or Flac files that you have saved in Wave Corrector. (For Ape files, they have to have been saved using the built in encoder).

I'm at a loss to explain why you can't do this. If you select the Open command on the Wave Corrector File menu, do Ape and Flac appear in the File Type drop down list (at the bottom of the File Selector window)?

If they do, are you able to select a file here to open it? In other words, do you only have the problem when you drag and drop a file onto the Wave Corrector window?

regards
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

File Types AGAIN!

Postby Gene » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:10 pm

Derek,
You know...I thought I was VERY computer literate, until I started using WC! As my grand daughter says: I'm getting VERY fusrated! (her wording not mine) I'm not even sure where to start...maybe make a list.
1. Everytime I open WC it does a search "Searching for command-line encoders"
2. At the bottom of the save screen I do have the options, wave, ape, ogg, and external encoder, flac/flac.
I managed to get a wave file back into WC, and saved it as an ape file, I gave the album title APE1. When I went into my documents, my music, etc. The file was under "unknown album" 2.22 GB, inside was a folder with the title APE1, 609 MB, inside the folder was a windows media player icon titled "01 - Various Artists Old and New.ape, 609 MB, I then did a drag and drop into nero to see how big it was...105 minutes. Since it wouldn't fit the CD, I went back into "unknown album" now there is an Adobe Reader icon titled, "01 - Various Artists Old and New.tmp" 1.03GB!!
The album title is, Various Artists Old and New. There have been many other issues, but that's enough for now.
Thank you very much,
Gene
Gene

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:57 pm

OK, to explain the points on your list:

1. When Wave Corrector starts, it updates its list of encoders that you have installed. This should be near instantaneous. If it is not, I'm wondering if you have accidentally set an incorrect path for your External Encoders. For example, if you set the path as C:\, then it will search your entire computer for encoders and this will take a long time. You can check this setting via the External Encoders command on the File menu.

2. You can set Wave Corrector to save its files either to a fixed location, or to the same folder as the input file. (you do this via the Paths command on the File menu). Reading between the lines, it sounds as though you have it set to save to the input file folder.

I assume that the wave file you loaded was in the "unknown album" folder. Therefore when you saved, the program placed the corrected file within that folder. You must have set the file naming rule, ALBUM\# - TITLE. This will have generated the result you describe.

There are several file naming rules you can select from, or you can create your own. The ALBUM\# - TITLE rule is for when you have split an album into several tracks and have given each track a title. It will then make a folder with the album title and populate it with files named according to the titles of the tracks.

This naming rule is not really appropriate for what you are doing - saving a single file that hasn't been split into tracks.

Regarding the .tmp file, when Wave Corrector opens a file, it makes a temporary copy. All processing (de-clicking, filtering etc) is done to the temporary copy, the original file is left untouched. Once you have saved your work, the .tmp file is automatically deleted.

I'm sorry Wave Corrector seems to be giving you a hard time :(

It might be a good idea to download the files from the Tutorials section of the website and work through the sections of the tutorials that cover the areas you are having problems with.

Let me know if you need any further help.

regards
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Support