Cut and Splice op

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Cut and Splice op

Postby bmbguy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:45 pm

Derek,

I thought I'd start a new topic for this question...

I was just wondering if you could clarify a bit just how the cut-and-splice operation works, especially in terms of the effects of the 'splice length'? I understand that a block of just about any size can be cut out of the file, but I've having a hard time visualizing what the associated 'splice length' is, and how it affects the areas around the splice. I know you have compared the cut-and-splice operation to that used with tape -- is the 'splice length' then analogous to what would be the length of the 'overlapping' areas of tape to be spliced together?

And I assume that the splice length is saved in the corrections list along with the cut, correct?

Thanks again for your time.
bmbguy

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:20 am

Yes, the splice length is exactly analogous to the length of the diagonal cut that you make when you splice an analogue tape.

When a 'cut & splice' is performed, the samples immediately before the cut are faded down for the period specified by the splice length. Similarly, the samples after the cut are faded up over the same time period. The fade-down and fade-up portions are then overlapped to create a cross-fade.

The cross-fade region is shown by blue cross-hatching on the waveform display.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby bmbguy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks Derek. Great info - that explains the process quite well. Now I'll have a much better idea of exactly what it is I'm doing when I cut-and-splice...

Your docs talked about a 'cross-fade', but I didn't quite understand what that meant -- until now.

Thanks again.
bmbguy

Return to Support