short fades after every crescendos on the .wav file

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

short fades after every crescendos on the .wav file

Postby Gordon Pole » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:34 pm

(Sorry if this is covered elsewhere - I'm a newbie)

I get sudden and noticeable fades whenever the volume lever drops quickly. This appears even on the .wav file produced by Wavercor even before processing and on all inputs whether from disc or tape or radio BUT it is not evident on the original input as monitored by the computer line-out to its local amplifier and speakers. Ie it would seem that wavecor is producing the fades as it creates the .wav file.

Don't lnow if this makes sense.

Thanks

Gordon
Gordon Pole

Postby citguy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi Gordon. Just a wild guess. You don't have something in you system set for "automatic volume control" do you. That's what it sounds like. I'm sure others will have a better handle on this.
Stan
citguy

Postby Gordon Pole » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:48 pm

citguy - thanks but, no, I don't have that. I'm going to have another go at isolating this problem - it's just that when the sound volume drops quickly it often disappears altogether for a short but noticeable period.
Gordon Pole

Postby citguy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi again Gordon. Are you "normalizing" your wave file before you save it?
Stan
citguy

Postby Gordon Pole » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:02 am

citguy. No I don't. Actually the 'fades' are moe extensive than I realised. Quietish passages fluctuate noticeably in volume as well. I wonder if my CPU chip isn't fast enough though if I put on the Performance thing it shows only a low % activity when recording; the available memory is 4.6GB; I don't have anything else going on when recording other than the line-out to my monitor amplifier.

Mind you there are a lot of Processes but all show zero COU activity except System Idle which is 90% again while recording.
Gordon Pole

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:48 am

What sound card ore you using? Some USB sound devices have automatic gain control that you can't turn off. I don't think that would produce quite the effect you're describing but it's something worth looking at.

The effect you describe is something I've never heard of so it's difficult to imagine what the cause might be. I'd be interested to have a listen so I'll pm you some instructions for uploading the file. If anyone else also wants a listen, let me know and I'll tell you how to access the file once it's uploaded.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Gordon Pole » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Derek. Thanks. I'll organise a short .wav file which shows the problem most clearly. I don't use USB input but the line-in on the motherboard which I've used in the past for wavecor-ing LPs (can one get seperate sound cards nowadys? I'm a bit out of touch)
Gordon Pole

Postby Gordon Pole » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:38 am

Derek. I'm going to change my input amplifier and try again. I've been taking the input from the tape output from my existing amp. While it seems to record on the audio cassette player OK and also sounds fine , as I said earlier, through my computer monitoring amp, I'll be more sure of my end of things then. Will post the results here after the weekend. Thanks for your reply.
Gordon Pole

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:15 am

No problem.

And to answer your other question, yes you can still get sound cards although, as you intimate, most modern motherboards include the sound chips that in the old days would have been on a separate card. I tend to still refer to them as 'sound cards'. Sorry for the confusion.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Support