laptop recording

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

laptop recording

Postby marciano » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi

I want to use WC on my laptop. Is this OK and can I use the mic socket as a line in from my cassette deck? If so is there anything that I need to know? I am running XP pro on a new (2005) gerycom laptop with a 1.7 centrino and 512 ram. Any help would be appreciated.
________
LINCOLN SPORT SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by marciano on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marciano

Postby Ray Bell » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:15 pm

Mike input may only be mono and the sound quality may not be that great either.

Ray
Ray Bell

Postby marciano » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:10 pm

Thanks Ray. Hmmm doesn't sound too hopeful. Any ideas for a solution anyone?
________
Testarossa
Last edited by marciano on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marciano

Postby Ray Bell » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:47 pm

If you find the problems I mentioned (I only know of them from reading , not from personal experience) one solution would be to use an external USB soundcard.

An example of this is the Creative Soundblaster live external soundcard which appears to be available from Ebuyer for about £40.

I have not used this so cannot endorse it in any way but my Souncard is a Creative model and I am perfectly happy with it. Do check out what your laptop can do first though, you may be OK.

Ray
Ray Bell

Postby Derek » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:38 am

Yes, I concur with what Ray has said.

I don't usually recommend using a microphone input; this is because it is too sensitive and is likely to overload with the normal line level signals from a tape deck. Also, as Ray says, most PC microphone inputs are mono so would not be suitable. However, I know there are a number of users who do use laptops and they report that they are happy with the results. So, I'd recommend that you make some test recordings to see if the quality is acceptable. It may be that some laptops have more features than I'm aware of.

As well as using a USB soundcard (eg the Creative Labs Extigy), there are also 'sound capture devices' that can be plugged into a USB port. I don't have any experience of these but I know some users have used them successfully with Wave Corrector.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby topgunn » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:00 pm

Marciano,

I am using a Fujitsu Laptop with a P4 Mobile processor and 512 MB of RAM, very similar to your set up. I did not find any problems with using the sound card in the laptop nor using the mic input. However the results while adequate were not what they could be. I purchased and am now using a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Nx (at least that is the what is called here in the States) external USB 2.0 sound card. To me the results are noticeably better. Net result, I guess it depends on your ear and your pocket book. The laptop was adequate, the external sound care better.

Best, Tom
topgunn

Postby tonyt » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:58 pm

I use the Creative Soundblaster USB soundcard with my laptop to convert my LP's to wav files (and then to ogg or mp3 files with oggdropXPd or LamedropXPd (http://www.rarewares.org/).

Excellent results.

Tony
tonyt

Return to Support