Using Wave Corrector in Linux

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Using Wave Corrector in Linux

Postby jerrybee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:15 pm

I think I've seen somewhere that WC can be used in Linux, using Wine. I use Linux Mint ver 9, and have installed WC using Wine. I used alsamixer to activate the Line input to the sound card, and can now hear the LP playing. I started WC, selected Record New Wave File, entered a location and filename, started the LP, and hit the Record button -- but there's no indication in WC of the sound levels varying. Selected Set Volume but get no response, as I would if I were in Windows. Any thoughts?

Maybe I should have stopped after the first sentence and asked if WC can truly be used in Linux. Can it?

I'm double-booting, so I can just re-boot into Win and do my WC work there. But it would be nice if I could just stay in Mint and do my LP-saving there.

Looking forward to your replies.
jerrybee

Postby citguy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi. Just a guess based on similar experience. Check your device paths in WC. Make sure you are actually recording from your sound card.
Stan
citguy

Postby jerrybee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks. For "record device" under File>Devices I have 2 selections: "default" and "wine wave in mapper". I've tried both while the LP was playing and got no response. Also in the Devices box is a selection for "Record Volume Control" and the default is a filename/command of sndvol32.exe /r , with a Browse box beside it. Since I've no idea what I'm looking for, browsing does me no good.
Also, under "playback device" are 2 choices: default and "wine wave out mapper". Again I've tried both to no avail.

Thanks again for the feedback.
jerrybee

Re: Using Wave Corrector in Linux

Postby Derek » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:16 am

jerrybee wrote:I think I've seen somewhere that WC can be used in Linux, using Wine. I use Linux Mint ver 9, and have installed WC using Wine. I used alsamixer to activate the Line input to the sound card, and can now hear the LP playing. I started WC, selected Record New Wave File, entered a location and filename, started the LP, and hit the Record button -- but there's no indication in WC of the sound levels varying. Selected Set Volume but get no response, as I would if I were in Windows. Any thoughts?

Maybe I should have stopped after the first sentence and asked if WC can truly be used in Linux. Can it?

I'm double-booting, so I can just re-boot into Win and do my WC work there. But it would be nice if I could just stay in Mint and do my LP-saving there.

Looking forward to your replies.

On the Main Menu, select Control Centre; then Under Hardware, select 'Sound'. Select the 'Input' tab and make sure the correct input channel is selected and that it's not muted. When Wave Corrector is recording, you should see it under the 'Applications' tab in the 'Sound' window.

Let me know how you get on. I may be able to help further as I have Linux Mint 10 installed on a netbook.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby jerrybee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi once again Derek,
Thanks for the info. I'll first say SUCCESS, then do some backfill to explain.

I didn't have the correct input selected in Control Center>Sound, and what was selected was muted. I un-muted the (wrong) input, started WC, and saw no volume-level action. Back to Sound and set the input level to 100% from Unamplified -- no volume-level action in WC. Went back to Sound, selected Analog Line In/Input1 ( I think it had been set to Analog Microphone 1), went to WC, and found both L and R channels in red overload, but at least they seemed to be active. Back to Sound and changed the input level to Unamplified, and now WC shows "normal" volume level action. Now if I can only remember all this. However . . .

I just don't understand how the sound works. If I'm feeding the turntable output, via a pre-amp, into the Line In connection on the mobo (audio is onboard chipset), and the Control Center > Sound > Input setup is wrong, with Connector set, as mine was, to the default of Analog Mic 1 (or whatever, other than Analog Line In/Input 1 ), how is it that I can still be hearing the LP sound playing through my speakers ? I would think that if I can hear the music coming from my speakers, the sound signal path would also be OK for WC to take it in for processing. Likewise, I would think that if I have the wrong Connector set in Control Center > Sound > Input ( by "wrong" I mean it's set to something other than Line 1, where the turntable signal is being fed to ), the signal wouldn't get through to the speakers. This all seems to be terribly un-logical to this retired EE, and hopefully someone will be kind enough to logicalize it for me.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I felt that if I explained my puzzlement clearly (?) it might help someone else struggling to get WC working in Linux.
jerrybee

Postby Derek » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:12 am

Those are good questions and I don't have a definitive answer. However from what I understand of soundcard chip architecture, the chips have separate pathways for recording and playback. In other words, the soundcard has an output that goes to the computer speakers etc, and a completely separate output that is used for recording. It is the job of the 'Mixer' or 'Volume Control' application to route the input signals to one or both of these outputs.

The default MS Windows Volume Control application makes this explicit as there are separate recording and playback controls. In Linux, the situation is rather more complicated but under Applications/Sound and Video/ you should find such a volume control application. In Mint 10 this is called 'PulseAudio Volume Control'. But it may be different in Mint 9. These controls seem overly complicated compared to the Windows ones but it may help your understanding of what is going on.

But I must say I find it all very confusing and it's probably worth asking about this on the Mint or Ubuntu forums.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby jerrybee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Once again, thanks, Derek, for the info.
Your suggestion is a good one, and I'll pursue it by at least posting my puzzlement on the Mint forum, where I've found helpful folks in the past. If I get the sound-signal-path thing sorted out in a way that I can reasonably explain it, I'll post some words here.

We have a rainy, chilly, dreary week forecast for here in north Georgia. Might be a good time to attack my stack of '60s LPs, using the magic of WC to produce a stack of CDs. I used to think that the info on a CD/DVD lasted forever, but have recently heard that that isn't the case, that it's only reliable for a few years -- have you any thoughts and/or data on it?
jerrybee

Postby Derek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:45 am

jerrybee wrote:We have a rainy, chilly, dreary week forecast for here in north Georgia. Might be a good time to attack my stack of '60s LPs, using the magic of WC to produce a stack of CDs. I used to think that the info on a CD/DVD lasted forever, but have recently heard that that isn't the case, that it's only reliable for a few years -- have you any thoughts and/or data on it?

Hi Jerry

No, I've no particular data but there are a lot of websites that discuss this. Just do a Google search for "cdr longevity" and you'll find lots of relevant results. The old Philips slogan of 'Perfect Sound Forever' now seems a tad over-optimistic!

Personally I now archive all my recordings on Hard Disc in a lossless format. It's much easier to backup 500 LP's stored on a hard disk than it is to backup 500 separate CDR's.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Support