Where does the 'silence' go?

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

Where does the 'silence' go?

Postby bmbguy » Tue May 10, 2011 6:44 pm

I understand the idea behind the pre/post silence period per track -- at least I think I do. But I don't understand how it works!

The 'pre-silence' goes before the track boundary, according to the display. And if I save the track, there is no corresponding period of silence before the start of music in the wav file. So I don't understand how/where the pre/post silence periods are used and/or implemented.

If I create pre/post silent periods, where does the 'silence' go, and how does it end up on a CD? I must be missing something...
bmbguy

Postby citguy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Pre/Post silence is added in front or at the end of an existing track. When you save that track, the "silence" becomes part of the file and no longer shows as pre/post silence. Just as "fade in/fade out" becomes part of the saved track and no longer shows. But it is there.
Stan
citguy

Postby bmbguy » Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Stan,

I just tried it again, and you're right -- the silence is added to the beginning/end of the track's generated wave file when it is 'saved'.

That is exactly the way I thought it would work, and I must've done something wrong when I was trying to test it yesterday. Maybe I saved the wrong track or something -- who knows? I guess I was just being a dummy for a day...

Thanks,
Randy
bmbguy

Return to Support