How to get artist name in saved wav file

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

How to get artist name in saved wav file

Postby brewerdi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:11 pm

When saving, I would like the resulting wav file to include: track number, track song, and track artist. For example: 01 Layla - Derek and the Dominos.

I enter this information in the properties of each track, but I can't figure out how to get the artist name on the ensuing saved wav file. Can this be done? If not, will this be a future feature?

Also, is it possible to save as a mp3 format? If not, will this be a future feature?

Thanks for your help.
Dave
brewerdi

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:19 pm

Unfortunately no, Wave Corrector does not add tags to wave files. Although the wave file format allows you to do this, there is no agreed format for the tags. Therefore, the tags would not be readable by other programs. In fact, many sound programs assume wave files do not include tags and accept all the contents of the file as audio data. With these programs, tags cause audio glitches at the end of files. Therefore, I have decided to exclude tags from wave files. This ensures compatibility with all other audio programs.

If you want your files to be tagged, you must save them in ogg or ape format or use an external encoder that supports tagging (eg LAME.EXE will allow Wave Corrector to produce MP3 files including tag)s. The help file explains how you can do this.

As an alternative to tagging, you can also set up Wave Corrector to save your files in a directory structure based on the tags; for example it can create a folder (or a nest of folders) based on the album name, artist, genre etc. And you can include any combination of tags in the file names.

Regarding MP3 format, Wave Corrector does not directly support it due to licensing restrictions. However, as I say above, it is indirectly supported via LAME or other third part command line encoders.

Let me know if you need any further help.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby brewerdi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:33 pm

Derek,

Thanks for your quick response.

I probably wasn't clear with my question about writing out the file name. I am not asking about tag information, just how the name of the file to be saved is constructed.

You give us several options as to how the wav file name can be constructed when saving the file; I am asking why the artist's name from the properties window can't be part of the mask when you save your wav file. You allow the track name to be part of the file name and I assume you get this from the properties window; I was just wondering why the same can't be done for the artist name.

Thanks again for your help.
Dave
brewerdi

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:58 pm

Ah yes, now I see.

You can use the artist's name but it's not one of the default options. Therefore, you simply need to type it nto the file nameing rule box eg:

# - TITLE - ARTIST

This will generate the file name you require. Note, the hyphens are optional.

The bottom window in the save dialogue shows the file names that will be generated. So you can check that your rule is correct before actually saving any files.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby brewerdi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:07 pm

Derek,

I think that's exactly what I was looking for. I will test it out when I get home from work and let you know if it doesn't work.

Thanks again for your expertise.
Dave
brewerdi

Another File Name Question

Postby paultaiwan2003 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Reading the above about adding ARTIST to the file name rule, I tried doing the same with LEN. but it didn't work. I also tried LEN and LENGTH. Is there any way to include this? I notice that the length is included in the files listed to save so I assumed it could be used.
paultaiwan2003

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:33 am

Hello Paul

No, only the following tags are supported in Wave Corrector:

Title
Artist
Track Number
Album
Genre

Sorry
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer