ID3v2 Tags - Sometimes there, sometimes not.

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

ID3v2 Tags - Sometimes there, sometimes not.

Postby Wayne R. » Tue May 03, 2005 8:03 pm

I've set up WC to use Lame.exe to encode my stuff. Everything works well, including ID3v1 tags. I also want to use ID3v2 tags - but sometimes my files end up with them, sometimes not.

The only thing I have to go on (when the problem appears) is that the ID3v2 header is 0 bytes - and (so far?) this prevents me from adding them afterwards as well. And/but the ID3v1 tags are there, just fine.

Sometimes one side of an LP gets the v2 tags and the other doesn't. So far it's been about 50-50 whether the problem appears or not.

Ideas?
Wayne R.

Postby Derek » Wed May 04, 2005 6:43 am

In the LAME documentation, it says:

"Lame will smartly choose wich tags to use. It will add ID3 v2 tags only if the input comments won't fit in v1 or v1.1 tags, ie if they are more than 30 characters. In this case, both v1 and v2 tags will be added, to ensure reading of tags by MP3 players wich are unable to read ID3 v2 tags."

Does this explain what is happening?
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Wayne R. » Sun May 08, 2005 7:49 pm

Yes, it sure does. I posted this question then, as usual, thought more about it. By rooting around in the Lame stuff I discovered a switch to add - I then got the whole mess of tags. Here's my Command Line Parameter text:

%IN %OUT -b 224 --ta %A --tt %T --tn %N --tl %L --tg %G --add-id3v2

This coupled with ARTIST\ALBUM\ARTIST - TITLE mimics what CDex gave me. The only thing I add later is the LP's date.

I also discovered that Mp3 Tag Tools v1.2 will dupe all the tags (from ID3v1 to ID3v2) by pushing F6.

Thanks for the support!
Wayne R.

Return to Support