laptop <- creative soundcard <- amp problem

Please post your support queries here.

Moderator: Derek

laptop <- creative soundcard <- amp problem

Postby kevinblyth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:50 am

I'm trying to use a Cyrus amp output to my laptop via a Creative NX USB soundcard to record vinyl.

But when I try to record I don't get any sound through the left hand speaker of my laptop and some sound but low volume on my right.

The guy on the Creative helpdesk, while helpful, thinks this is an issue with my amp as it looks like my sondcard is OK (CDs play fine).

Has anyone any suggestions? Do I need to buy a new amp / preamp or is it something more simple?
kevinblyth

Postby mannie.gross » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:44 am

These sort of problems are usually worked out by a process of elimination. The proble could lie in the Amplifier, the cabling (I include in cabling whether you are using the correct inputs and outputs), or the audio card.

E.g. Does the amp play normally through speakers? If yes, then it is probably not an amp problem. Or if you replace the cabling does the problem go away. If yes then it is probably a cabling or connection problem. If you try a different PC and leave everything else the same and the problem goes away then you have eliminated the amp and cabling as a problem.

Regards,
Mannie
mannie.gross

Postby kevinblyth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:15 pm

Thanks Mannie - it was the lead after all!!

Now I get sound through both speakers but seem to be unable to record although I'm using the line in on the external sound card!!!
kevinblyth

Return to Support