Scan spectrum

Post here if you have suggestions or requests for future enhancements.

Moderator: Derek

Scan spectrum

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:16 am

Hi Derek.
I wonder if it could be made possible for Wave Corrector to provide an averaged spectrum analysis as part of the autoscan options for display in the overview spectrum window. I think this could be very useful as an aid to adjusting the equalizer, particularly if the results could be applied directly against an imposed ideal, presumably a flat response. This would make it very easy for one to set up the equalization to correct for deviations in the recording's response curve, eliminating a lot of guess work.
Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:15 am

It's an intreresting suggestion. However, I don't think the average spectrum would normally be flat. As a simple example, male vocals have a different spectum compared to female vocals.

If you want to use the spectrum view to observer the effect of equalisation, it might be effective to find a spot in the recording where the it is noise like (eg applause or a nice loud click).
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:59 pm

Hi Derek;
I'm sorry, but I don't think I made my idea very clear; perhaps I should have called it a time-averaged spectrum analysis. That is, a frequency spectrum averaged over the length of the recording.
I'm speaking for those of us many in this forum who wish this particular recording sounded more like that particular recording. We use a graphical equalizer in hopes of finding an improvement in tonality without the benefit of any graphical comparisons. Worse, most of us can't relate the frequency spectrum with what we hear. If one were able to scan an entire file and have the ability to view the averaged spectrum for comparison to a reference recording, it would at least give one the benefit of making an informed visual comparison.
I've used a similar approach with some success in other software, in real time using screen dumps and bitmap overlays (mspaint is ideal for this) for comparison purposes. What surprises me most is how convoluted the equalizer settings become; certainly nowhere near what I would have guessed. Yet they sound good, and I believe there is some merit to this method. Ofcourse, comparisons can only be made with similar musical styles and instrumentation, but given this condition I believe it could be a useful tool for making more informed equalizer settings.
I don't pretend to know a single bean about software development, but it looks to me as though WaveCorrector may already have built into it the core capabilities to do this more easily.
Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:18 am

OK Glenn, I'll see what I can do. As you say, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement. I'm just not sure there would be much demand.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Wish List