session properties

Post here if you have suggestions or requests for future enhancements.

Moderator: Derek

session properties

Postby Glenn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Hi Derek,
At present, it doesn't appear to be possible to view the contents of a session file (# of corrections, cue markers, track boundaries, etc.) without waiting for the associated wave file to load. Can this be implemented in a future release?
Thanks,
Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:55 pm

Yes, that should be possible. I'm working on the next beta now and I hope to release it in a week or two. I'll see if this can be included.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:16 pm

Hi Derek,
Oh boy, Christmas in July! I'm looking forward to the next beta :D .
Presently, a session file is limited to the wav file associated with it's creation. The reason for this is pretty obvious. However, lifting this restriction would extend the session file's functionality, specifically regarding track boundaries and properties, to files processed (and renamed) in other applications. Would it cause too much trouble to implement this?
Thanks again.
Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:48 am

I'm not sure it would be sensible to do this. The session file contains data derived from the original file (eg to create the overview window).

If anything significant had changed in the original file (eg if the length is not exactly the same), then it would probably crash the program. It wouldn't be difficult to put in the option to open an alternative file, at the user's risk. If you think this would be useful, I can include it in the beta and see what comments it attracts.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:57 pm

Hi Derek,
Thanks again for your consideration. As a serial abuser of wavcor's session files I can state with some confidence that tampering with the source wav file isn't likely to cause any stability issues. My worst case so far involved a session with many user corrections that no longer aligned properly with the clicks. Horrifying enough, but truncating 3 samples from the beginning of the source file fixed it completely, restoring every single correction. All that should be needed is a warning that any user corrections may no longer be applicable. Apart from that, only negligent abuse is likely to cause any problems, but this is true for any windows programme.
Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:19 am

I'm not too sure what might have been going on there. If the lengh of the file is incorrect, then it can definitely cause Wave Corrector to crash in certain circumstances. For example, clicking in the Overview window could cause the program to seek beyond the physical end of the file.

However, I'll put it in the beta with a strong warning :)

Let me know what you think when you see it.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Wish List