Three Christmas wishes

Post here if you have suggestions or requests for future enhancements.

Moderator: Derek

Three Christmas wishes

Postby Glenn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:48 pm

Hi Derek, it's me again, looking to give you some more work. In anticipation of another possible 'Christmas in July', I've updated my wishlist.
    1. I asked for a narrow correction width and you have blessed me with one. Now I'd like to ask for a variable setting so I have more than two options.
    2. I asked for a session information panel and you blessed me with one. Now I'd like it to contain more information; specifically # of user corrections to help me remember how much time I spent with it before scrapping it for a new session.
    3. Seriously now, some records have big, long scratches (well some of mine do, at least) that Wave Corrector can't find. Since many scratches have a persistent time constant for when they occur, some means of accelerating the search for these would be a huge time saver. Perhaps something in the Find dialog where one could enter a time constant (say, 1.8 seconds for 33-1/3) to advance the display with a keystroke, as is done for markers, cuts, etc. I have a record I'd like to re-record but it has a long scratch that takes up half the side. The record is in pretty good condition otherwise, but hunting for these clicks again is discouraging. There has to be a better way.

It's a short list but it's all I can think of for now. If I come up with anything more I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks and have a Merry Christmas. :D
Glenn
Glenn

Postby knighte » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:47 pm

At first read I wasn't sure what Glen was asking for and then the light came on. I believe he is referring to the time it takes for the "scratch" to reappear as the album goes round and round. An excellent idea, but wouldn't the timing have to allow for the faster reappearance as the scratch is tracked closer to the spindle? Without an adjustment, the impulse would gradually move off the display. If I may whine a little, I would like to see a search for an impulse that is adjustable on the basis of a ratio of the peak amplitude vs the immediate surrounding amplitude. This again would serve to find the noise that the software did not trigger on. Possible??
Larry
knighte

Re: Three Christmas wishes

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:05 pm

Glenn wrote:3. Seriously now, some records have big, long scratches (well some of mine do, at least) that Wave Corrector can't find. Since many scratches have a persistent time constant for when they occur, some means of accelerating the search for these would be a huge time saver. Perhaps something in the Find dialog where one could enter a time constant (say, 1.8 seconds for 33-1/3) to advance the display with a keystroke, as is done for markers, cuts, etc. I have a record I'd like to re-record but it has a long scratch that takes up half the side. The record is in pretty good condition otherwise, but hunting for these clicks again is discouraging. There has to be a better way.

Hi Glenn

This is already provided. It's under Find... on the Corrections menu. Select 'timed jump' and then select the 33 or 45 pre-set as required.

Regarding the other suggestions, I'll see what I can do. A beta should be available in a few weeks.

And for Knighte, repeating clicks on analogue records always have a constant interval because the rotational speed is constant (eg 45rpm). This is different from CD's which have a constant linear velocity.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby knighte » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:17 pm

Duh! Now we know why I'm not an engganeer!
Larry
knighte

Postby Glenn » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Cheez, to think all this time...... :oops:
Thanks, Derek. And sorry for the trouble.
Glenn
Glenn

Return to Wish List