Undo Normalization

Post here if you have suggestions or requests for future enhancements.

Moderator: Derek

Undo Normalization

Postby Glenn » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi Derek,
I noticed that normalization is not written to the source file but is instead written to the session. This is an excellent idea as it does not alter the original file, but for me it would be better if the normalization could be removed from the session at will. I'm having stability issues with Wave Corrector at the moment and use the auto-save feature to protect my work, but I have a few files to which I applied normalization which was subsequently saved to the session, and apparently can't be undone. Since the session appears to contain the original peak values could these not be restored?
Thank-you.
Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:19 am

Hi Glenn

You can do this manually, but I agree it would be a good idea to have an option to do it automatically.

Do do it manually:

1. Select Waveform - Status; this will tell you how much gain (or loss) has been applied to each channel. Assuming you haven't used Channel Balance, the value will be the same for each channel. As an example, say this value is 7 dB

If you now re-run the Normalise command, this will tell the current maximum level. Say, this value is -1dB. Now subtract the value from 1 above to get the peak level of the original unnormalised wave. In this example, -1 -7 = -8dB.

Set this as the new target level for the normalise command and previous volume change will effectively be undone.

Note, since you can only set the target level in 1dB steps, you could end up with a volume error of up to 0.5 dB.

I should have a new beta version out in a week or two and I'll try to add 'remove normalisation' as an option.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks Derek;
I wasn't aware there was a waveform status available but it shows how thoroughly you've considered Wave Corrector's features. Just one thing: If possible, could you please add the waveform status to the session file properties? This would be a useful time-saver.
Thanks again.
Glenn
Glenn

Return to Wish List