playback speed control

Post here if you have suggestions or requests for future enhancements.

Moderator: Derek

playback speed control

Postby citguy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:40 am

I appreciate the inclusion of a playback speed control. I used it for the first time today while processing some spoken vinyl without separate tracks. I could slow down the speech (and pitch) and by placing cues at a slower speed could actually split tracks in between words. It was a great help. I first assumed it was there to adjust "pitch" but find the control so coarse that fine adjustments are almost impossible. How about a box to type the percent of speed reduction in so we would have infinite range? And would it be possible to build in a speed increase to compensate for recordings that might be below pitch? Love the overall product. It keeps getting better and better.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:17 am

Unfortunately, this would be quite difficult to implement. If you wanted the saved file to play back at the corrected speed, then you'd need to re-sample the entire file. This is a far from trivial procedure.

It is much easier to do speed/pitch correction during recording. Wave Corrector already allows you to do this, mainly for recording 78's at 45rpm. However, you can enter a custom ratio to give precise control so you could use this for pitch adjustment. Unfortunately, at present, the control only allows you to speed up a recording and not slow it down. However, it would be fairly simple to extend this functionality and I'll try and do so in the next release.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Wish List