block "capture"

Post here if you have suggestions or requests for future enhancements.

Moderator: Derek

block "capture"

Postby citguy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:02 am

I know I'm being piggish but as you can tell 95 percent of my wave corrector use is with tapes. I was wondering how difficult it would be to add a feature to "cut and splice" under block commands to allow "cut and paste". I realize this is moving towards a full editing function but it would be neat to be able to paste a few seconds of material. Indexing the exact location of the "paste" would be the most difficult part (in my mind).
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:41 am

Yes, that would be a very useful feature and it's one I've considered. I haven't pursued it because it would be quite difficult to implement. It would require a near rewrite of the saving and auditioning functions. However, it's not completely out of the question as these are areas of the program that need a little tidying up anyway! I'll give it some further thought.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:47 pm

Hi;
So long as Derek is considering a re-write with regards to the 'cut and paste' feature I'd like to offer some encouragement. I've found that as is, the cut and splice works well only in a limited number of cases. When it come to removing large artefacts in rhythmical music, the spliced result is distracting. If one could use block selection to copy a 'plug' from an adjacent portion, the splice could be completely inaudible. As it is now, I have little use for it, but it shows a great deal of promise.
Glenn.
Glenn

Postby citguy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:48 pm

Hi Glen.
What Iv'e done when using "cut and splice" during program material is after I've established my area to cut expand the scale so you can actually see the wave form at the beginning and end of the cut and then adjust for the closest match possible. You of couse can play the corrected version before actually implementing the cut to see how it will sound. I actually took an audience cough out of a held note at the end of a Brahms song. It shortened the note by about .75 seconds but who knew.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:16 am

Yes, I am still looking at the possibility of a paste option. It would be a good addition to the toolbox.

As Stan suggests, when cutting out a significant length, it is necessary to choose a cut length and position that 'fits in' with the surrounding music. Sometimes, to maintain the tempo, it is best cut out an entire bar for example rather than a single note. Usually, with a bit of experimentation, you can achieve an 'invisible mend' of the waveform.

This is not to say that a the copy and paste method wouldn't be useful. For example, I have one user who regularly records live concerts off the radio. These are often spoiled be the applause starting before the music echoes have completely died away. So he would record some hall ambience from elsewhere in the recording (eg between movements) and paste this in at the end. He currently has to use wavmerge to do this and he would also like a paste feature.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Wish List