superscan below a volume threshold

Post here if you have suggestions or requests for future enhancements.

Moderator: Derek

superscan below a volume threshold

Postby ramiller » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:18 am

I would like to be able to superscan a complete wav file that would only do corrections below say -15db --I transfer mostly classical lps to cd and the vast majority of false triggered corretions are in the high volume passages, therefore to get best results, I open at correction rate 2, make adjustments to corrections if nessesary, then block superscan quieter sections at corretion rate 3--(which is most of the album on some classical records). By superscaning the file, omitting corretions above a certain volume, it would eliminate most false triggered corretions and certainly be faster than doing several small block scans. best yet -- If you could pick the volume threshold yourself you could open file at corretion rate 2, superscan below -20db at level 3, then superscan again at level 4 below say -40 db to get lead-in grooves and between track grooves. This may also help some of the people that are asking for more corretion rates. If this could be done in batch mode it would be awesome.
ramiller

Postby Ray Bell » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:11 pm

I have also been thinking along the same lines. Small clicks in (and just after) a loud passage of music are less audible due to a phenomenon known as psychoacoustic masking. However it is these same loud passages which are likely to generate the majority of false positives. My idea was basically the same as yours but I envisaged the implementation slightly differently. To maintain the user friendliness of the program I suggest an "auto" button next to the click threshold control. If this is selected the normal scan would be performed with a click threshold which adjusts dynamically depending on the level of the immediately preceding passage.
I think the levels you have suggested would probably be good for most of the LPs I have worked on (Classical and Folk music). If user adjustment were wanted perhaps this could be in the form of another dialog box which only opens when an "advanced" button next to the "auto" button is clicked. Within this advanced dialogue box perhaps the user could set the click threshold for 3 bands of signal level and/or the signal level boundaries for the bands. A "restore defaults" button would probably also be useful here.

Ray
Ray Bell

Postby Derek » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:41 pm

Yes, these are ideas that I'll give some thought to. You may realise that click detection sensitivity already varies inversely with the signal amplitude. However, it would certainly be possible to give the user some additional control over this, particularly as part of an 'advanced' superscan/rescan option. I'll see what I can do.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Wish List