Beta 3.4 merge

Use this forum to post comments or suggestions about the current beta

Moderator: Derek

Beta 3.4 merge

Postby citguy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:53 pm

The merge feature is fantastic and the placement of the 'cue' in between the merged tracks is brilliant! It is now possible to record many vinyl sides using "start on signal" and walk away from the computer knowing you can merge the separate files later. Unlike some other merge programs, you always know where the merge took place so you can clean up automatic tone arm lifting noise without having to hunt for it.
Stan
citguy

merge open

Postby Glenn » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi Derek,
I tried the new beta for the first time yesterday. Based on only one instance I'd say the merge open feature works well but there was some strange behaviour: Track detection failed to detect any tracks (this is highly unusual), but located 13 of 12 correctly with the user assisted method. In times past the auto-scan would have at least separated the two sides of the disk. Secondly, I was unable to insert a correction toward the very end of the merged file (insert function unresponsive).
Glenn
Glenn

Postby Glenn » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:53 pm

Never mind; the old program does the same thing.
Glenn

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:36 am

Yes, the merge load shouldn't affect the track detection as such. However, the automatic track detection does become less reliable as the length of the file increases. This is because with a large number of tracks there is more likely to be discrepancies between the inter-track gaps. This will make them harder to detect.

There was another problem with the merge command in the build 0 beta. The 'delete after merging' feature was not working properly and one of the original files was always being deleted. This is fixed in build 1 that is now on the website.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Hi Derek, it's me again.
There is something strange with the merge open feature. Last night I used it again to open a file and once again it failed to detect any tracks. Unlike the last time however, rescanning for tracks produced an invalid argument. After several attempts to auto-scan tracks, I started breaking tracks manually by clicking on an area in the overview window. In the main display there appeared a track boundary marker, and when I clicked the 'next track' button to zoom in on it, the overview updated itself properly with all the boundaries. Everything was normal from then on. I should point out that I had a second instance of WC open with a different file at the time. Still, rescanning for tracks should not produce an error message in any case, should it?
Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:37 pm

Yes, thanks for that. I discovered the invalid argument bug myself a couple of days ago. It occurs because the correction list was not initialising properly after a merge load. It's all fixed now and you'll see the fix in the next beta.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:53 pm

Hi Derek,
I'm still having difficulties with the merge open feature. This time I was merging 2 files (x1;x2) and saving the result as x, a pre-existing file to be overwritten. The difficulty came when I cancelled the operation because the click counts were beyond my comfort zone. My intention was to reset the auto corrections and remerge the files when Windows produced an error message and closed WC. Fortunately, the recordings weren't lost. I'm not sure if it was an explorer issue caused by replacing an existing file or not, but the same operation without cancelling seemed to work ok.
Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:02 pm

Hello Glenn

Yes, thanks for that. It is a definite bug. It should be easy to fix but in the meantime, just don't use the cancel option when merge opening.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:21 am

This is now fixed in the latest build (Build 3):
http://www.wavecor.co.uk/wavebeta.html
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:41 am

Hi Derek,

The 'invalid argument' popped up again last night. It occured when I clicked on the 'next track' button in the tool bar to bypass the lead-in at the beginning of a newly merged file. It was fine later when I scrolled down the correction list a few and then clicked the next track button. Otherwise, track detection works well now.
Also, when WC is done opening a merged file the pc speaker makes a knocking sound. Is this correct?

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:43 pm

Hello Glenn

I'm having trouble reproducing this problem. Does it occur every time you do the sequence you described, or is it intermittent? Any further information would be helpful.

I'm not sure about the knocking sound either. None of our computers seem to do it so it may be something at your end. Again, any further information about this may help me track it down.

Although you've posted this in Beta Comments, I assume you are now using the released version of 3.4

best regards
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi Derek,

Sorry; yes, I am using the new release, but this problem reminds me of the beta issue that's covered in this thread.
The problem must be intermittent, as this is the first time I've seen it since the new release. I recorded several records and this problem cropped up unexpectedly on the last one. Some recordings involved the merge open feature and others didn't, but the issue seems to be with merge open.

Since I don't use any Windows sound schemes, the knocking sound is usually the pc's way of telling me of an inappropriate action. Sometimes it indicates a completed action, so I don't know if its presence in this case is a good thing or not. I'm fairly sure it began with the new beta, but it occurs whether or not there is any subsequent problem.
This is the best info I can give you at this time. I'll try to keep my eyes peeled for more.

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

Hello Glenn

Re the knocking sound, I've discovered there is a small error in the merge code that causes this; it doesn't have any other detrimental effect so I'll wait till the next release to fix it.

If I find an explanation of the "Invalid Argument", I'll let you know.

regards
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Beta Comments