3.5 beta 1

Use this forum to post comments or suggestions about the current beta

Moderator: Derek

3.5 beta 1

Postby Glenn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi Derek;

I had a chance to take the new beta for a spin. Open merge works well now, as does the cut and splice normalizing. In fact, that part seems to work better than ever. I had the chance to try it out on a record that had more dimples than a cherubs convention. The wide splice always left a big hole but not any more, the transitions are quite seamless.

The spectrogram is fabulous; I'm finding clicks in places I never would have looked. I find the scale range to be a bit limiting, but I'll take it the way it is, it's a huge step forward. Just a couple of things: Going to overview from spectrogram view the radio buttons don't update properly, so that in a single track overview, the buttons read "corrected " and "original" instead of "track#"). Also, the spectrogram defaults to the original (uncorrected) view constantly. In my opinion this should default to the corrected view in order to sync visually with the corrected playback (spacebar).

One last oddity: After recording several internet streams with another disc recorder, Wave Corrector wouldn't open one of the wav files, telling me instead the format needed to be 16bit, 44.1 kHz, etc. All the files recorded should have been in this format, so this one pop-up was a bit of a puzzle.

Overall, a huge advance over 3.4. Thanks again.

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback Glenn. The bugs you reported should be fairly easy to fix.

I'm not sure about the Internet stream recording. I don't think this can be anything to do with the beta; ie I assume that v3.4 will also give the same error message. If you can investigate this a bit further, I'd be grateful. What disc recorder are you using? Are you sure the sample rate was 44.1 or 48? I suspect some Internet streams use a lower sample rate.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Derek;

I discovered a few other bugs:
    The preset in the find dialog doesn't actually remember the setting; it does with the radio button but still brings up the next 30+click size, as with 3.4

Secondly, I got this error message on re-opening wc after a blue screen:"MMSYSTEM020 The driver did not generate a valid OPEN callback." I wound up restarting windows to fix it. I'm not sure what caused the programme to crash in the first place, but was a rare, ocassional issue with 3.4. I had auto-save on at the time.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but on superscanning a block, I would select the top click in the block as displayed in the corrections list and review the clicks with the arrow keys. This still works with the up/dn arrow keys but doesn't with the numpad keys; I have to click the main window first (and lose my place in the block) before the numpad keys will respond. Is this normal?

With regard to the internet stream, it may have been the programme since it is not the most stable programme to begin with. Some of the ergonomics just plain don't make any sense to me, either. But I can say that the format used to record the streams should have been the same for all files recorded. I was able to open the file in question with a wave editor and found nothing amiss. I used the editor to split off tracks and then deleted the file. I'm not planning to record any streams any time soon.

Thanks,

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Hello Glenn

Thanks for the follow up

Glenn wrote:Hi Derek;

I discovered a few other bugs:

]The preset in the find dialog doesn't actually remember the setting; it does with the radio button but still brings up the next 30+click size, as with 3.4

Yes, I see what I did wrong. Should be easy to fix.

Secondly, I got this error message on re-opening wc after a blue screen:"MMSYSTEM020 The driver did not generate a valid OPEN callback." I wound up restarting windows to fix it. I'm not sure what caused the programme to crash in the first place, but was a rare, ocassional issue with 3.4. I had auto-save on at the time.

I think this is an error message from operating system saying that soundcard driver did something wrong. It might be worth checking to see if you have the latest driver for your soundcard. These days, blue screens are nearly always caused by hardware/driver problems; applications run in their own protected space and should not cause the operating system to crash (blue screen).

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but on superscanning a block, I would select the top click in the block as displayed in the corrections list and review the clicks with the arrow keys. This still works with the up/dn arrow keys but doesn't with the numpad keys; I have to click the main window first (and lose my place in the block) before the numpad keys will respond. Is this normal?

I'm not sure I follow this. In v3.4, the numpad keys should (2 and 8 ) changed the vertical scale. In the new beta, they still do this but you now need to click in the main window first. However, this doesn't cause you to lose your place. (you single click to set the focus on the window; double click to select a new point)

Please can you try to explain this again as I am obviously missing something.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi Derek;

you single click to set the focus on the window; double click to select a new point)

Please can you try to explain this again as I am obviously missing something.

You're quite right, I was double-clicking. Sorry about that.

Going to overview from spectrogram view the radio buttons don't update properly, so that in a single track overview, the buttons read "corrected " and "original" instead of "track#")

As a matter of fact, the buttons disappeared entirely last night.. There was nothing else unusual. I took a screen dump if you'd like to see it.

It might be worth checking to see if you have the latest driver for your soundcard

Just to remind you I'm still using win98. I may be the last holdout but so be it. These drivers have served me well for the past several years. I've always considered new problems to be the fault of the new additions to my pc, something I'm noticing more and more.

Thanks,

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:00 pm

Hello Glenn

I've posted an update on the beta page. See the announcement section.

I've fixed the 'find next' and 'find previous' not remembering the settings between sessions.

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem with the radio buttons not updating properly. It may be win98 handles the window updates differently. I've cleaned up the code a bit and it may fix the problem. Let me know whether it does or not.

Regarding the blue screen, yes I had forgotten you were running win98. That is certainly less forgiving of application errors than XP etc. It'll be difficult to track down the cause of your blue screens unless you can provide a repeatable sequence of steps that cause the problem.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:45 pm

Hello Glenn

Just to keep you up to date, I've now discovered the problem with the radio buttons. I just wasn't looking hard enough!

So don't waste any time on it. I'll fix it in the next build.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:11 am

Hello Glenn

Should now be fixed in Build 3.

regards
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi Derek;

I've now discovered the problem with the radio buttons. I just wasn't looking hard enough!

Yes, that's much better. One slight detail however: The slide control for the colour/gain seems to have a similar problem. The position of the slider itself is retained when I change views back and forth, but the spectrogram display itself defaults back to normal. If I click the slider it will refresh the display. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

One question: When in all-tracks overview and both cursors are within a single track, should the track radio button reflect the track indicated by the cursors or should clicking it default back to track 1? I was looking for a quick way to "zoom in" the overview to the track in question but found this is only possible by laying down a cue marker.

I'm quite enjoying the new spectrogram. It's really quite fascinating when doing a level 5 multi-pass block superscan on a scuff mark and watch the distortions being 'nibbled' away with each pass. Well done! :D

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:08 am

Yes, the slider control problem was an oversight. I can easily fix it.

Regarding your question, The 'Track' radio button selects the track under the main cursor; ie the track on which the main window is centred. It's a little confusing because during playback, the main cursor indicates the playing position. However, when you stop playback, the main cursor reverts to show the centre position of the main window. It's this position that the program uses to determine the track number.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:17 pm

Hi Derek,

...when you stop playback, the main cursor reverts to show the centre position of the main window.

So laying down a cue marker basically resets the window to the current position. Is there a hotkey to refresh the window to the current playback position? I'd rather not leave a meaningless cue marker on the file, since I use these as trouble markers for later reference? (Of course I can delete the marker, but that's too much work! :) )

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Glenn wrote:Hi Derek,

So laying down a cue marker basically resets the window to the current position. Is there a hotkey to refresh the window to the current playback position? I'd rather not leave a meaningless cue marker on the file, since I use these as trouble markers for later reference? (Of course I can delete the marker, but that's too much work! :) )
Glenn

No there's no hotkey unfortunately. The only way to re-centre the main window during playback is double click somewhere in the main window itself. During playback, you can freely zoom the main window in or out. Therefore, you could zoom out sufficiently to show the playback cursor as it travels across the screen. Double clicking in this window, re-centres the window and also re-positions the playback.

This may help you do what you want, but probably not. :(

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Beta Comments