Beta track scanning

Use this forum to post comments or suggestions about the current beta

Moderator: Derek

Beta track scanning

Postby citguy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:40 pm

Hi Derek. Just did a 26 track tape with the new beta. The default track scan only missed one track and gave me a nice 1 second lead in to the ones it did identify BUT I could not get any of the 'advanced' features to work. They would not respond to my mouse. (Windows 98 SE). Also the default tracks worked great for finding the end of a track IF the music had a definite end point BUT if it was a long piano decay with no cut off it could not tell when the decay was finished so it always ended the track too soon. I had hoped the advanced features would make it more sensitive to the decay.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:30 pm

Dear Stan

Thanks for the feedback. I assume you're referring to the 'user-assist option in the Re-Scan Tracks dialogue. Once again, I didn't test it under Win98! I've now found a way to fix the problem although I don't really understand why it occurred. I think there must be a bug in the way Win98 handles radio buttons.

The fix will be in the next build but I won't issue it just yet as I am still tweaking the track detection and think I might be able to improve it still further. I can send you an interim build via email if you're desperate!

Regarding your 26 tracks, the user assist wouldn't have given you any advantage. The feature allows you to tell the program how many tracks are present and the program gradually increases its sensitivity until the required number is reached (or exceeded). However, at present, the option only has a range from 2 to 20 tracks so your 26 would not have been covered. I can easily increase the range to say 30 tracks if you think that is a more reasonable maximum track count.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby citguy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:38 pm

Derek. 26 tracks is a highly unusual situation and the default got 25 so I don't think you need to change anything. My only concern with track detection was being able to increase the sensitivity jfor the slow decay of sound at the end of some tracks. I always check manually anyway.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:59 pm

Stan

There's now another build on the download page that fixes the win98 problem.

Regarding finding the end-of-track point after a long fade, this is always going to be problematic. I have improved it a little but there will still be times when you need to manuallly adjust.

The program is now a bit less sensitive so it may not find your 26 tracks on the first scan. Howeverr, if you enter 26 as the target number, it should find them OK.

Please let me know how you get on.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby citguy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:58 pm

Very Nice Derek. Default scan picked up all 26 tracks with increased decay at the end of each track. Long decays still need to be adusted manually but that's ok. Did not try the target number of tracks approach but all the advanced buttons work now. I wouldn't think if the default detects 26 tracks that a target of 26 would produce any different results at the end of each track. Product just gets better and better.
Stan
citguy

Return to Beta Comments