[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wave Corrector Users • View topic - s/pdif recording

s/pdif recording

Use this forum to post comments or suggestions about the current beta

Moderator: Derek

s/pdif recording

Postby Glenn » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi Derek, another new problem for you: The Mytek arrived yesterday and I was able to hook it up and sync the M-Audio to it without any difficulty, however the new beta won't let me record beyond 16/48 - the other options are greyed out. I was able to do a 24/96 recording using Audacity, de-click and compress the file in WC (16/44 using triangular dither in ssrc_hp) with only one minor difficulty.*

In trying to fix this I deleted the registry settings pertaining to bit depth and sample rate as you suggested in an earlier thread, but it made no difference.

Within WC, the record device is set as M-Audio Delta AP S/PDIF, and the playback device is set as M-Audio Delta AP 1/2, with the path to the volume control being C:\WINDOWS\system32\deltapnl.exe. I can monitor the signal; the meters work; everything looks alright, but no hi-res.

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks,

Glenn

*After several attempts at configuring the encoder for dithering using the external encoder setup dialogue, the encoder wouldn't dither the file until I used the configure dialogue upon saving the files. Not sure if that's a bug or not as I'm still learning to use that capability in WC, I'm not clear on why the changes don't take effect when using the setup dialogue.
Glenn

Re: s/pdif recording

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:38 pm

Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:18 pm

Glenn

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Glenn

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:40 pm

Glenn

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Glenn

Postby Glenn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Glenn

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 am

Hi Derek,

Playback outside of WC, with any file type is not an issue with the M-Audio. It is however, within WC.

I had a strange occurance today whilst recording with the new beta. The recorded file was corrupted by tiny spikes, thousands of them, pointing upwards and down. These spikes were on the written wav, and not from the record, nor were they audible during the recording. The correction widths WC made of these spikes were on a scale from 200 to beyond 500. I didn't know correction widths could go that high.

I encountered this once before in 3.5 with the M-Audio (no s/pdif) when I unplugged a device that used a switch mode power supply while a recording was in progress. From the moment the device was unplugged, the recording became corrupted. Again, it was not audible during the recording - only on the written file.

This time, there is no easy explanation. The only way to fix the problem was to increase the ASIO/WDM buffer size to 512 in the M-Audio control panel. I had hoped this would ease the playback issue in WC but unfortunately it did not.

I don't even know if this incident is related to WC or not, as it has never occured with another recorder. It's occurance is so rare, that fact alone means nothing. Keep in mind the only commonalities with the 2 incidences are WC and the M-Audio - absolutley everything else has changed (except the record player).
Regards,

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:03 am

Hi Glenn

Thanks for these latest reports. I'm working on them. :)

I had a similar experience myself a couple of days ago with the M_Audio card producing these tiny spikes. However, it's not done it since - which makes it very difficult to diagnose. I'll let you know if I discover anything.

Regarding the latency/capabilities function problem, I also need to investigate this. I had thought the starting and stopping of playback was very robust but I haven't tested very much with the M-Audio card. I think some of these problems might be because the M-Audio driver does not not always respond correctly to message requests. There is some discussion of this on Internet forums.

I'll keep you posted.
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi Derek, I've made progress at this end. I reviewed a session last night without the Mytek enabled, ie - the M-Audio was internally sync'd - and WC worked as designed without a hiccup. I first got wind of this when I replaced the s/pdif cable, previously an audio cable, with an RG-6 quad shield and noticed fewer hiccups.

It seems in the future I'll have to keep the delta cpl close at hand to disable/enable the internal clock for recording/editing. More complicated, but the results are worth it.

Cheers,
Glenn
Glenn

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks Glenn

Yes, that sort-of corresponds with what I have found. I think it's a good idea only to use the external sync when recording.

I've been busy on a new update - hence the delay in replying. You can find it on the beta page.

all the best
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Beta Comments