Save config files in Wavcor directory

Use this forum to post comments or suggestions about the current beta

Moderator: Derek

Save config files in Wavcor directory

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:08 am

Hi Derek, thanks for incorporating this. It seems to work well for saving detection/correction presets, however it would be more convenient if the config files were forced to one location...perhaps the Wave Corrector programme directory. As it is, the programme defaults to the current location where the music files are opened/saved.

Any chance this could be implemented?

Regards,
Glenn
Black is beautiful!
Glenn

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:09 am

Hi Glenn

Writing to the program directory is problematic because Windows7/Vista gives dire warnings if you try that. Also, even on XP, the program directory is hidden by default so many users wouldn't even know of its existence.

So I think the config files should be saved to one of the users directories. It should default to 'My Documents' unless you've changed your default directory.

But I'm open to persuasion otherwise :)
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi Derek, the My Documents folder (or any other) is fine, but where I record/save the music is on a separate drive entirely, with a directory structure covering the pickup used, artist, album, etc.

I can save the config files in the music drive's root directly and access them fairly quickly with the drop down navigation menu in the Open dialogue. However, in order to save the recorded output I have to move sequentially from back there to the original sub drectory where I made the recording.

Is there a shortcut around this?

Thanks,
Glenn
Black is beautiful!
Glenn

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi Glenn

Yes, I see the problem. I'll see what I can do.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:05 am

new build now available.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:14 am

Hi Derek, I'm afraid something's messed up here. The default location for config files seems to be the bin folder for the flac encoder on C drive. If I move the config files there from the music root directory I had them in and attempt to load them, I get an invalid argument. Also, the locations listed in the Paths dialogue are bizarre. For example, the File Save folder text box shows the ssrc configurations (--rate 96000 --bits 24....etc), and the Temp folder points to the soundcard control panel executable! I've reset them but the programme restores these settings after an error message.

So far I haven't been able to load the config files I've saved...from any location.

Just a thought: Is it not possible to stipulate the location of the config files in the same way as the other files (temp and save locations) using the Paths dialogue? Loading/saving them would then automatically open this directory?

Regards,
Glenn
Black is beautiful!
Glenn

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:10 am

Hi Glenn

I think this may be because of something I should have mentioned but forgot.:( The config files in beta1 are not compatible with config files from beta0.

I assume you have loaded a config file from beta0 and this will have messed up a lot of your settings.

Unfortunately, this could be a little difficult to resolve. You need to run the beta0 program and load your beta0 config file using that. That should restore all you settings as they should be. Then you can run beta1 and save a new config file. Then all should be well.

Another possibility is to send me a beta0 config file and I can easily convert it to a beta1 config file and send it back to you.

It's possible, there's some other problem that I'm not aware of but I think we should try this first.

If you no longer have it, beta0 is available at:

http://www.wavecor.co.uk/wc37beta0.zip
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:16 am

Thanks, Derek. I went ahead and created a new set of configs, this time trialing them with an actual recording session.

It went well, but there were still issues. First, on completing the recording and initiating a scan, the autoscan settings screen that comes up was unresponsive. I had to close this and the recording, then reopen it before things worked properly. I did notice when loading new config settings that the zoom on the screen changed. At first I thought my place in the correction list had been moved, but zooming out showed only an offset. It would be preferable if the time displacement was avoided, along with the altered zoom.

Second issue might be related to the fact that I was still using the external flac encoder to output the files...the settings worked before so I saw no reason not to continue with it. Instead of the encoder opening up with the usual dos screen the folder containing the encoder appeared, in a similar manner as the dos screen, but of course nothing happened. The configuration settings for the flac encoder pointed to a directory for a previous recording. Strange. The programme didn't hang or crash, there was simply no output.

The only fix for this was to use the new built-in encoder, which actually seems to work better anyway.

That's it for now. If I discover anything else I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Glenn

Incidentally, as the recording involved two separately titled works (one with multiple tracks, the other w/o) by the same composer/orchestra, I set up 2 different recording sessions and worked on them separately. I noticed when I went to fill the artist field in the track properties that the input I typed from the first session was still available for the second. I don't recall this ever happening before. Nice. :)
Black is beautiful!
Glenn

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:23 am

Hi Glenn

Thanks for the continued comments.

Regarding the first issue (unresponsive autoscan settings), this was a bug that I introduced with one of the recent changes. It was easy to fix once you pointed it out but it would have been embarrassing if the new release had included it. So thanks again for drawing my attention to it.

Regarding the problem with the external flac encoder, I can't find a reason for this. I suspect it was caused by your registry still being messed up by loading the faulty config file. However, it should correct itself if you re-select the external flac encoder.

While investigating this, I did notice another problem - which is that the Encoders window (via File - Encoders command) does not initialise itself properly if your encoders are not in the default location (C:\Encoders). I'll fix this in the next beta.

Regarding the zoom state problem, I'm in two minds about this. I think that probably the Load Settings command should be unavailable (greyed out) after a file has been loaded. This is because it changes a lot of settings that are initialised when you load a file. It's probably quite dangerous to do this and I'll probably disable the possibility. If I do this, the zoom problem will not apply.

Let me know if you think this would be a serious inconvenience.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi Derek,

I made another recording last night. The issue with the external encoders is still present. I had forgotten to check the new save settings option so the external encoder was still enabled. The command line parameters still point to a previous folder containing a recording, and the window containing the encoder still opens in place of the dos screen.

You're probably correct in your belief that the registry is messed up. Is there a way to fix this? Incidentally, the encoders are in the correct directory, but the beta is on my desktop, not the programme folder.

There is another issue I'm not certain is related to the beta or not. Whilst filling out the track tags I discovered I was short one track . After locating the additional separation and reopening the track properties dialogue I discovered one of my painfully typed titles was erased. I don't recall this ever having occurred in the past (though I can assure you I've messed up the track count many times before). If this is just coincidence please ignore it.

WRT locking out the configs after loading a file, this would completely undermine the benefit of the one-click 'on-the-fly' autoscan change I was looking for. In comparison, having to re-adjust the screen is a minor inconvenience. I'd rather you kept it as it is.

Thanks,
Glenn
Black is beautiful!
Glenn

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:17 am

Hi Glenn

I've done some tests and can reproduce your problem using an external encoder. it is definitely caused by your having loaded a beta0 config file into beta1. If you still have the beta0 config file, the solution is to run beta0; 'load settings' from your beta0 config file; then close the program. Now when you open beta1 your settings should be correct. You can download beta0 at http://www.wavecor.co.uk/wc37beta0.zip

I can't find a problem with the track tags. And as this part of the program hasn't changed, I hope it was just that you forgot to save the changed tag!

And, yes I see that you need to load a settings file mid-session. So the load settings function may need some tweaking to only load those settings that can cleanly be updated. For example, one of the settings is the temp file path. And you wouldn't want that to change mid-session. I'll investigate and see how best to handle this.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:29 am

PS to my last messge.

If you no longer have an original beta0 config file, we can still retrieve the situation. You would need to email me a current (beta1) config file. I can correct it and sent it back to you.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi Derek, I found the old beta0 config files and loaded one into beta0 following your suggestions. Then closed it and opened beta1. For good measure I deleted all config files and made new ones in beta1, but the problem persists.

What I have discovered is everything works correctly if I don't load the config files. File save dialogue works as expected; auto save writes a session file, encoder and track naming rules are persistent over different sessions. However, as soon as I load a beta1 config file, the programme no longer saves the session, nor does it use the saved naming rules, and it defaults back to the external encoder, which doesn't work properly.

I thought the configs were for the autoscan settings, but I gather they do more than that?

Regards,
Glenn
Black is beautiful!
Glenn

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi Glenn

Thanks for sending the two sets of files. I've had a quick look and I think there must be a bug causing this. It may take a day or two to track down so please be patient.

all the best
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Derek, I downloaded beta2 and loaded the master config file. This seems to have fixed all the bugs, including the positional offset when making changes. I take it I no longer need the master config file?

Just a couple of minor points:

The default file type in the save dialogue is not saved between sessions, reverting back to wav. I'm not using the external codec at the moment as the built-in flac encoder does a better job. I would prefer it if the programme remembered this.

Also....and maybe not so minor, the sessions are not being saved even though autosave is enabled. Help!

Anyway, thanks for implementing the config files. It really does help to speed up changes to the autoscan/superscan settings. Now if only I can convince you to add multiple channel corrections to speed up that nasty 'nonfill' business..... :D

Regards,
Glenn
Black is beautiful!
Glenn

Next

Return to Beta Comments