Still missing 'save session' prompt -- and a question

Use this forum to post comments or suggestions about the current beta

Moderator: Derek

Still missing 'save session' prompt -- and a question

Postby bmbguy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Testing new beta v3.7b0.

Opened existing session file, did a small 'cut and splice'. If I attempt to close the program (red X in upper right corner) at that point, I DO get a prompt to save the session file. However, if I don't save at that point, and then go through and save the tracks/WAV files, and THEN close the program (red X), I don't get the 'save session' prompt, and the cut and splice I did is lost.

That problem may have existed before -- I know there were some holes in that 'save session' area, so I don't know if this is new or old.

And while I'm here -- the 'save settings' checkbox in the 'save' (WAV file) dialog -- what exactly does it save (and where)? I had changed the starting file number and the directory and checked the 'save settings' box, but when I went back to the save menu (even after manually saving the session), those changes were gone,

Thanks,
Randy
bmbguy

Postby Derek » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi Randy

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, ref the save session prompt, the program's logic is that if you've saved a wave file, you're finished so you don't need to save a session file.

I can see that that isn't always the case. However, I'm not sure we want the reminder popping up every time the program is closed.

I'll give it some more thought.

One change I have made in this version is that if you have auto-save checked, then the program now always saves a session file when you close. So in the circumstance you describe, auto-save would get around the problem.

Ref the 'save settings' check box, yes this isn't very well explained yet. It simply saves the new 'normalise', 'scale' and 're-sample' settings.

Other settings - 'file naming rule' and 'output file type' are also saved but this is irrespective of whether you check the 'save settings' box.

The starting file number and output folder are never saved. This is partly because you've unlikely to always start on the same number unless it is '1'. And the output folder option is there in case you accidentally load a file without setting the 'Path' options on the File menu. The 'Paths' command on the File menu is where you permanently change the output file path.

I can see this is all rather confusing!

I may try and make it a little more logical.

The settings are saved to the registry.

Thanks a lot for your comments.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby bmbguy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Derek,

Thanks for the reply.

First off -- I don't think I agree with the program's logic. If the session has been changed and not saved, then it's not saved. Period. Doesn't really matter whether wave files have been saved or not... And I think the program SHOULD pop up the dialog if the session has been changed and not saved, any time and every time. But that's just my opinion. And I go back to the 'document' example -- it's like making a change to a Word document, then printing it, then closing the program, and losing the change because the program didn't prompt you to save the changed document. Or if you're working on the source code to the program -- if you make a change to the source, then build the executable (without saving) and try to leave the program, it will for sure prompt you to save the change you made. I think this is the same thing. (Heck, it probably won't even LET you build without saving...).

Which reminds me, I didn't see the 'opened session file' name as the default file name for saving the session. I take it that change didn't make it into this beta?

As for the other 'saves', yes, I think some explanations somewhere might be in order, just so the user knows what he/she can expect to be saved and what not. As for the numbering and directory, it doesn't matter much to me if it's saved or not, I just thought I'd ask since that's what I changed.

There have been a few more 'save' areas added, and it would be nice to know what's saved and what isn't. Like in the file menu's program settings 'save' (the config file?), we don't really know what settings are being saved and which ones aren't.

Just a simple guide might be of some help to us 'beta testers'!

Thanks!
Randy
bmbguy

Postby bmbguy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:07 pm

Oh, and I was thinking...

On that idea of saving the opened session file name... if one is using 'auto-save', is the auto-saved session file automatically named to the default, which is the wav file name? If so, that would make it impossible to have multiple sessions that use the same wav file. With multiple session files using the same wave file, one could process (for instance) some tracks as gapless and others with gaps, use different fades, etc., basically mix and match the tracks however they wanted, instead of cutting the file up into separate wave input files.

If auto-save defaults to the wave file name, obviously that wouldn't work.
bmbguy

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:03 am

Hi Randy

The problem with the save session prompt is that many users don't use session files, or even know what they are. So it would be an annoyance to have the message pop up for those users. The auto-save option is really for the more advanced users who know about session files and I think it more or less covers the problem you highlighted.

Regarding the session file names, unfortunately, I haven't fixed this yet; ie it still always defaults to the wave file name. I agree this is important and I'll fix it in the next iteration of the beta.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:00 am

Hi Randy

Just to confirm, I've now fixed the session file naming problem in my working version. It should be released in a day or two.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby bmbguy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Many users don't use session files? I think it would be just about impossible to de-click an entire album without them, but you would know better than I. As for the prompts, I guess I'll just continue to be religious about saving the session files manually.

As for the session file names being preserved, I think that would be great, for the reasons I've already stated. I'm working on an album now that has some tracks that run right together and others that do not. As it is, I split the file up into separate wav 'source' files to process some gapless and the others with gaps/fades, but I thought it could be done with just a single wave file and multiple session files, saving only certain tracks from each session file. But doing it that way would be a little more troublesome with the current 'default' session naming mechanism. Obviously, as I said, auto-save couldn't be used in that case, and without auto-save, it might be a little too easy to accidentally overwrite the wrong session file on a save. It would work best if the program remembered which session file was 'in use'.

Thanks!
Randy
bmbguy

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi Randy

Yes, in the new version (beta1), if you load or save save a session file, the name will be preserved until you close down. Further saves or auto-saves will use the name given.

I'll publish it soon.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:04 am

new build now available.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby bmbguy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Taking a quick look at V1, the session file change looks great (at least at first glance!). Saving the 'current' session is now just click-click.

And putting the session file name in the title bar was a great idea -- then you know at a glance just what you're working with.

Also, thanks for making that other change in saving the trace separation value. Now when I load the program up, it looks just like I left it the last time.

I'll keep poking around on the new version as time permits.

Randy
bmbguy

Return to Beta Comments