Adding channel corrections to the block selection

Post here if you have suggestions or requests for future enhancements.

Moderator: Derek

Adding channel corrections to the block selection

Postby Glenn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:44 pm

I made a remarkable recovery recently of a record that had severe 'non-fill' issues, but it took longer to do than was necessary.

The chains of loud crackling noises created by non-fill most often affects one channel only, with the opposing channel completely unaffected. Applying corrections to the affected channel increases distortion on the unaffected channel, making concealment artifacts more audible.

While it is certainly possible to remove the corrections on the unaffected channel one by one, it would be much more expedient if this could be done in one swipe using the block selection function.

Thanks.
Black is beautiful!
Glenn

Postby Derek » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:36 am

That's an interesting one. I must admit I had to look up 'non-fill' which for other readers is a manufacturing defect where the vinyl doesn't properly fill the master mould.

It wouldn't be difficult to add the feature you describe. However, I'm a bit wary of adding too many features and I'd imagine this one would be used extremely rarely. Nevertheless, I'll see what i can do.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks, Derek. Filling Wave Corrector with features seems to be my want in life. :)

I'd like to offer encouragement on this one though. Yes, it's not used often, but when it's needed the benefit of not having to undo one channel of 100 or 200 or more corrections one by one is immeasurable.

Some records may have only one or two areas with non-fill, others are covered with them. Oddly enough, these records often tend to be in very good condition. I suspect the previous owners filed them away on discovering the defects, as a result the grooves are otherwise nearly mint.

I have in my collection one such instance, a limited run of early stampers for audition purposes and not for sale to the public. The fidelity is fabulous! Unfortunately 2 sides of the 2 record set have considerable areas of non-fill, the rest is pristine.

I paid a pretty penny for this rare gem, only to be sadly disappointed by the numerous flaws. I know WavCor can fix these, but at present it would be too time consuming to do it.

Regards,
Glenn
Black is beautiful!
Glenn

Postby Glenn » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi Derek, if adding further options to the block sub menu is not possible, could hot keys be implemented to toggle the channel corrections?

I can live with having to tweak them one by one, but flying through the corrections list with the keyboard, then having to pick up the mouse and navigate the menu, waiting for the windows metrics to reveal the toggles really puts a brake on the progress.

Something for the left hand....like 'Shift+Z' for the left channel and 'Shift+X' for the right?

At the risk of being a pest....though I think I've already crossed that line...

Glenn
Black is beautiful!
Glenn

Return to Wish List