Stack fault in wcbeta when opening autoscan options

Use this forum to post comments or suggestions about the current beta

Moderator: Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:55 pm

citguy wrote:My Alpha "registration key" is 12 characters long. When I tried to enter it in the "registration box" it would only accept about 9 of the characters. But as I said, the Beta copy indicates it is registered.

Stan

Sorry Stan but I still don't understand. The way to enter your registration key is via the 'Register Wave Corrector' command on the Help menu. However this command shouldn't be visible if you are already registered (which you are). And, in any case, the registration dialogue is the same as in previous versions and there is no limit on the number of characters that can be entered.

Can you describe how you activated the "registration box"

best regards
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:54 pm

Glenn wrote:Hi Derek;
The error message came up out of blue while I was scrolling the main window under close magnification to view the corrections on the new signature display. I had done a number of superscans (possibly 3), intermediately adjusting the AGC and Noise Discriminator settings to raise the number of corrections and observing them for false positives.
Incidentally, this would likely be my approach with the new version, although in the past I've prefered to do a level 2 scan and superscan at level 3 on a track-by-track basis to avoid 98se's limitation on the number of listed corrections. This issue has been a thorn in my side in the past, as it means the corrections not in the list can't be removed, as far as I know.
This new approach seems to be a much better work-around.
Glenn

I've been trying to reproduce the problem on a win98 system but without success. I can't seem to get the memory or resource alllocations anywhere near capacity.

Incidientally, I'm very surprised you only have 3MB free memory (as memtioned in your previous post). I don't think Wave Corrector can be eating all this memory. Have you anything else running? How much memory is free before you start Wave Corrector?

Regarding removing corrections not listed, if you mark a block and use the 'Pemove Corrections' command, all corrections in the block should be removed, including unlisted ones.

I'll keep you posted if I discover anything further.

Thanks for the reports.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:19 pm

Hi Derek;
You wrote:
I'm very surprised you only have 3MB free memory (as memtioned in your previous post). I don't think Wave Corrector can be eating all this memory. Have you anything else running? How much memory is free before you start Wave Corrector?

The computer boots with about 370 megs free and I have only the mouse and a menu utility running in the system tray. I record both sides of an LP as a single file so wavcor is typically opening a 400 meg file. I prefer this approach as I may decide to do further processing later and I find it is better to do so with the entire recording as a single file. Up until now, it has not been an issue.
The error came up again last night but this time it occurred when I had only a single track loaded. There was plenty of memory available at the time so I'm not sure it is resource related. Once again I was doing multiple scans and adjusting the advanced settings when the message "A required resource was" came up. The second message didn't come up this time, but it was still necessary to force the program closed.
You wrote also:
Regarding removing corrections not listed, if you mark a block and use the 'Pemove Corrections' command, all corrections in the block should be removed, including unlisted ones.

In my experience, this is not the case when the number of corrections exceeds the 98se limitation and wavcor lists only the corrections above magnitude 1. Under this circumstance, using the block command to remove corrections will not remove the ones that are not listed (no pun intended). I learned this through painful experience, though I'm aware there is probably nothing that can be done about it. Unless there is something else I'm missing...
Thanks.
Glenn
Glenn

Postby citguy » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:01 pm

"Sorry Stan but I still don't understand. The way to enter your registration key is via the 'Register Wave Corrector' command on the Help menu. "

Stupidity reigns again!!!! I won't go into details but the registration had NOTHING to do with Wave Corrector. Beta, so far, is running great. I have only done tapes but hiss and hum filters are working flawlessly.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:52 pm

Glenn wrote:The error came up again last night but this time it occurred when I had only a single track loaded. There was plenty of memory available at the time so I'm not sure it is resource related. Once again I was doing multiple scans and adjusting the advanced settings when the message "A required resource was" came up. The second message didn't come up this time, but it was still necessary to force the program closed.

I've had some success! I can now reproduce the problem and have traced it to the code that draws the signature in the main window. Until I get out a fix, you can prevent this happening by disabling the signature view.

The problem is a resource leak rather than a memory leak. In win98, there are a limited number of resources (drawing objects, etc) that are shared between all programs. Each program should release resources back to the pool after they are finished with. And this is not happening properly in the case of the signature drawing code.

Incidentally, if you do a Google search for "a required resource was" you will see thousands of hits, so it is not an uuncommon problem.
:D

I'll keep you posted.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:29 pm

I think the resource leak is now fixed. A new build (3.1.9.3) is on the beta page.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Beta Comments