invalid argument message

Use this forum to post comments or suggestions about the current beta

Moderator: Derek

invalid argument message

Postby citguy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:30 am

Hi Derek. Love the Beta. Great work. After "Saving and Closing" I have been getting a "An invalid argument was encountered" message. It doesn't seem to affect anything but it didn't occur with the previous version. I do not know if the changing of device settings with the 'audiophile 2496' caused this to appear. I am of course using Win 98 SE.

Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:25 am

Thanks for the report. Does this happen every time? If not, is there any consistency to when it does happen. This might provide a clue as to what is going on. The error message is rather vague and could have any number of causes.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Postby citguy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:34 pm

The message appeared after I had processed some very large files (well over 90 minutes). It did not happen evey time I "saved and closed" but did several times. Like I said, it did not seem to affect the functioning of WC but thought I would let you know because it was "different". It was a "Wave Corrector Message".
Stan[/i]
citguy

Postby Ray Bell » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:11 pm

Hi Derek

I have received the invalid argument message a couple of times too.
I am running under xp home sp2. The message occurred on 2 occasions after a save and close. I re-started Wave corrector between the 2 as I never like to continue after any error message.

In each case I had been processing only a standard 20 minutes or so single LP side. Scanning for tracks and clicks with some of the advanced options, auditioning track boundaries and serious clicks then applied the rumble filter.
Tracks were saved back into the same folder as the source file. In one case track numbers started at 1 in the other at 7 (2nd side of LP). In neither case had I saved a session file.

Any more info you would like if it happens again?

Ray
Ray Bell

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:26 am

I have a vague recollection of seeing this myself during testing and I think I may have fixed it! However there is nothing in the history log so maybe I'm mis-remembering or maybe I forgot to make an entry in the log! :)

I think this is something to do with the renaming and/or deleting of files that occurs when you 'save & close'. So any further information in this area would be useful: eg were you overwriting any files, were you overwriting the input file; ie did one of the output files have the same name as the input file: were you saving as wave files or encoded and if encoded, were you using an external encoder; and anything else you can think of.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Ray Bell » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:34 pm

Derek

I had the message again tonight with the latest 3.2 release downloaded this evening.
I started with a folder containing 2 files side 1.wav and side 2.wav
I opened side 1.wav and did the usual scan, set track boundaries and checked the severe corrections.
I applied filters, first the rumble then removed it and applied the hum.
I saved a session file with the default name side 1.ses.
I then selected save and close. I saved out 5 tracks named Track01.wav through to Track05.wav which is the default naming style I have selected.
As these were the first 'tracks' I have saved in this folder I did not need to change the naming.
Wave corrector saved the 5 files and then I received the error message at the end of this process.

One thought, The path to these files is a bit long (76 characters in folder path) and doesn't fit in the window in the save and close dialog box, could it be getting truncated somewhere?

I seem to be getting the message fairly consistently (3 times in succession) so I'm happy to experiment a bit if there is something you want me to try which may help pin this down.

Ray
Ray Bell

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:15 am

Thanks Ray, yes that's very helpful.

One other thing - what path is set for your temporary files; see File/Paths... command.

thanks
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Postby Ray Bell » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:05 pm

Hi Derek

I have left this at the default i.e to use the windows temp folder.
I assume this is the same as the path which appears automatically as the default for the 'user defined option.
If so the path would be
C:\Documents and Settings\Ray\Local Settings\Temp\
There are several other temp folders on the drive.
C:\temp, C:\ windows\temp and separate temp folders for all the other users with similar paths to that in my user area.
Several applications have also created their own temp folders in various places.

Output files are set to be saved in the same folder as input files.
There should not be a problem with disk space as I have 40GB free.

Ray
Ray Bell

Postby citguy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:06 pm

Hi Derek. My paths are set for C:/windows/temp and output is 'same as input'. BUT I always save completed files and sessions etc. to the desktop. I never access the temp folder. I am continuing to receive the 'invalid argument' message but as I said, it does not seem to affect the operation of Wave Corrector. (Win 98SE)

Stan
citguy

Postby Ray Bell » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:19 am

Hi Derek

I did a couple of experiments while processing an LP today and I think my suggestion about path length may have some merit.

I first tried changing the temp path to C:\temp but this had no effect and I still received the invalid argument message immediately after the last track was saved.

Next I moved my source file to a new folder with a fairly short path:-
C:\temp\recordings.
I also restored the temp path to its default (C:\Documents and settings......)
I loaded and processed the file, saving the tracks out to the same folder as the source but changing track numbers to start at 6.

This time I did not receive the message, the only time out of about the last 6 save & close operations when I have not done .

The path to the files when I have had the message has typically been
C:\Documents and Settings\Ray\My Documents\My Music\My Recordings\Folder Name\File name

Hope this helps

Ray
Ray Bell

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:19 am

I've finally tracked down this bug and quite elusive it turned out to be!

It was nothing to do with the length of the path or anything like that.

Also, it's not a destructive bug; ie you can just click OK on the error message and carry on.

Here is the explanation:

Drum roll....

The bug occurs because I added tooltips to the track display in the Overview window. When you hover over a track in this window, information about the track is displayed.

If, after you 'save & close', you leave the mouse pointer stationary in the Overview window, it generates a Windows message asking the program for information about the track.

By the time the program gets around to responding,the file has been closed and the track information has been deleted. Hence the error message.

It should be easy to fix now it's identified. However, in the meantime, you can just ignore it.

Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Beta Comments