Loss of left channel

This forum is for discussing Wave Corrector, audio projects, tips & tricks etc.

Moderator: Derek

Loss of left channel

Postby Michael Purcell » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:03 pm

Are there any suggestions for what to do when the left channel signal disappears? I have seen comments that this is a result of the outer wall of the groove wearing more than the inner wall. Can I merge the channels?
Michael Purcell

Postby citguy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi Michael. Is the left channel "lost" only on one record or on all records? If the loss is on more than one record, trace your left channel signal starting with the phono cartridge all the way to the input on your computer. You can "pause" the recording session, back up and rerecord the missing material using your "preamp" to record the right mono channel on to both channels until the signal returns, "pause" again and continue from there with a normal stereo signal then "cut and splice" the three sessions together as one. Have never experienced total loss of one channel due to damaged vinyl.
Stan
citguy

Intermittent left chanel loss

Postby Michael Purcell » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:18 pm

My apologies, I was not clear in my first posting. The left channel is usually present, but occasionally it diminishes to zero. I would like to simply merge (or add) such channels, or copy the contents of the right channel onto the left one. Can this be done?
Michael Purcell

Postby Derek » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:24 am

Unfortunately no, you can't do this in Wave Corrector. I'd recommend using a general purpose sound editor such as Audacity.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Chat