Conversion vs WC file size

This forum is for discussing Wave Corrector, audio projects, tips & tricks etc.

Moderator: Derek

Conversion vs WC file size

Postby citguy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:51 am

If I download a 10.3 MB MP3 file and 'convert' it to a Wave file the resulting file size is 114 MB. If I play the MP3 file and 'record' it with WC the resulting file size is 231 MB.

Will there be a sonic difference between the two Wave files and why is there such a difference?

Stan
citguy

Postby Ray Bell » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:51 pm

Odd! What did you use to perform the conversion Stan? and is the converted file format 44.1kHz at 16 bit stereo, which I assume would be your Wave Corrector recording format, or something lower ?

In any case I would expect the quality to be dominated by the original MP3 which has a compression ratio of at least 10:1 (would that be 128kbps?). My son reckons he can hear the difference between that quality and an original CD but I can't.

Ray
Ray Bell

Postby citguy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:50 pm

Hi Ray. I used "Cute Audio Converter". I needed to listen to the files anyway for content but was curious if using a converter would produce the same result. I am assuming a Wave File is a Wave file. I would surmise that the conversion only converts the actual MP3 sampling and the WC actually records in 'real time' including the empty space between samples. My ears won't hear the difference but I am still curious.
Stan
citguy

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:23 pm

It must be the way Cute Audio Converter is configured. Maybe it is producing a mono file; or maybe it is using a lower sample rate than Wave Corrector requires. I'm not familiar with the application but you can probably force it to 16-bit stereo and 44100 samples per second. If you do this, the file size will be the same as the one produced by Wave Corrector.

It may be that you cannot set these parameters in Cute Audio Converter. They may be locked to the parameters of the original mp3 file.
Derek Higgins
Wave Corrector Developer
http://www.wavecor.co.uk
Derek
Site Admin

Return to Chat